SASS Wire Forum

Tell me about 3 1/4"/3 1/2" 10g brass shotshell loads

Three Foot Johnson

I've got a dozen pieces of 3 1/4" 10 gauge brass, with the rest of my 10g brass being 2 9/16", 2 5/8", or 2 3/4", and my load of 110 grains BP, 1/2" compression wad and 1 1/4 oz shot still leaves nearly 1/2" of empty case above the 1/8" overshot wad in the 2 5/8"ers... what on God's Green Earth were they sticking in these 3 1/4" and 3 1/2" shells? I've even heard of up to 4"ers being used in Merry Olde England. You could put 150-200 grains of powder and 2 1/2-3 oz of shot in these things with room to spare. :blink: Or did they use a more conventional and sane load with a much taller wad column for some reason...?

J Bar:

Are you speaking of solid brass hulls? If so, the following may not completely apply...

I use 3 1/2" Remington/Federal plastic hulls. My standard powder charge is equivalent to yours, using FFg APP sub. The powder is topped with a 1/2" AND a 1/4" veg fiber wad, then 2 oz. of shot and an overshot card. A good crimp produces a solid shell with no rattling of shot. I have also used the same recipe with FFFg, but the smaller grain takes up less space, so its possible to hear the shot move around a bit after the shell is completed. I will say that the FFFg makes for a bigger boom and kick...tends to make the spotters stand back a bit on covered stages!

Count Sandor

what on God's Green Earth were they sticking in these 3 1/4" and 3 1/2" shells? I've even heard of up to 4"ers being used in Merry Olde England

J Bar ... In the United Kingdom, hunting ducks and geese (wildfowling) is done a lot on the foreshores (meadows bordering the seas and bays). Using decoys is in the minority - the waterfowlers there do what is called 'flighting' (pass shooting). A good friend of mine over there - an author and a very serious waterfowler, shoots nothing but a 10 bore with 3 1/2" shells. No he is not bothered by these large shells. Kevin stands 6'5" and goes close to 300 lbs, but solid as a rock

So, the larger bore hulls are advantageous for flighting out past 50+ yds. And the 4" hulls are primarily used in punt guns which are still legal in the UK. They have been long outlawed in the US

And BTW, waterfowl hunting in the UK is legal 24 x 7!

Archived