SASS Wire Forum

Rebarrelling an Old SxS

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I have recently discovered an antiuqe (1893) Parker SxS for sale for $800. It is a really great looking gun, although the tag does say that it has a "period reblue" which is prolly why it is so relatively inexpensive. The gun seems to be as good as it looks condition wise, and I've really got an itch to purchase it. BUT, it has Damascas barrells. (Which seem to also be fine, they pass the "ring test.") Now, personally, I am not interested shooting black powder, and I tend to feel that the conventional wisdom against using smokeless loads in such a gun probably has some truth to it.

But, today, an odd thought came to me. Would it be possible to get replacement barrells for this thing? (or any old Damascus SxS for that matter) Either "originals" or newly made reproductions by some custom gun maker would be understandably expensive, but I am just wondering if it can be done.

Any thoughts?

Sure it could be done. As a barrel rebuild. (You would be VERY lucky if you found a set of fluid steel barrels for that old a gun that could be refit to your action, so don't bet on that.) Be prepared for a quote of about $1500 or more to fit new tubes to your monoblock and fit ribs. Briley's can do that kind of shotgun barrel work, Art's Gunshop up in Missouri, probably Run-N-Iron, probably several other places. Hope the wood is in great shape, or you're talking another $800 and up to redo some nice lumber.

Good luck, let us see a picture or two if you take the plunge.

GJ

I believe Tony Galazan's shop offers 20 ga. replica barrels for original Parker Bros. guns with Size O frames. They're about $1500.00 and require some fitting. Should be able to find him with google.

Don't know where your are, but I'd have a knowledgeable double gun gunsmith check out the Damascus barrels (as well as the rest of the gun) before purchase. If you're in Texas, Kirk Merrington in Kerrville is as good as it gets regarding Damascus barrels.

Hope this helps.

GIT

Would it be possible to get replacement barrells for this thing? (or any old Damascus SxS for that matter) Either "originals" or newly made reproductions by some custom gun maker would be understandably expensive, but I am just wondering if it can be done.
H.K. ... you answered your own question

Yes - can be done

Yes - expensive

Several years back in Double Gun Journal, there was a 3 part article about what it took shooting proof loads to destroy Damascus barreled shotguns. One of the shotguns was a Parker. They are strong and built with quality, but the nitro based shot shells did unravel the tubes. It's not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN.

Error on the Safe Side and NEVER shoot nitro shot shells in a Damascus barrel shotgun!

BTW, shooting original gunpowder in any shotgun is a real pleasure. If you have an itch for the gun - might want to shoot the original stuff and have fun. It gives a whole new meaning to any sport when you pull the triggers! I even started using a 1901 Parkerhurst Damascus external side cock 3 years ago for duck/goose hunting! :D

Thanks for all the responses, you've given me places to check out, especially the one in Connecticut, as I live in New England.

But, I also realized... I already have a Parker with 18" barrells, rather than buy an old one and get new barrels for it, I can get a second set of longer ones for the one I already have, and only have to get the barrels, not the gun too!

Still, it's good data to have if I ever come into something I wish to restore, or that simply has bad barrells.

Thanks. :)

Archived