SASS Wire Forum

Pipes for KD targets

Royal Flush

Looking to use pipe for KD targets but not sure what size dia. or length to use.

Would like some input from those that use this type of KD.

Thanks,Royal Flush

Maybe some folks can help, but my experience is that round pipe sends more lead back at the shooter than a flat target.

Similar to bowling pins which are terrible for pistol and shotguns.

They might work for rifle targets, but I don't know for sure.

We've used them quite a bit for shotgun only, mostly 2 1/2" but up to 4", schedule 40 or lighter. I've not seen any splash back problems at all. Surprising, to me anyway, it takes a pretty good hit to knock them over.

Our club has used them on occasion with good results. Ours are about 3 feet long, quite thick-walled, and they require a reasonably good hit. We set them on small wood squares to keep stability consistant. Easily reset while brass pickers are at work.

Tried once with black plastic pipe-- flew through the air like it was hit with a 45-70, and wasn't so damaged that it couldn't have been used through a couple of matches. Had to be chased too far to be reset quickly.

I don't recall any bounce-back problems with either.

Trooper

One the clubs round here uses em fer shotgun targets............They hang 2.5' or 3.0' pieces by chain in groups of 3 or 4 from a stand.......Not any more or any less splatter than regular steel......And they make some racket when ya hit em...........Bandit

We have used them at our range. A lot of fun! :)

Definately need some type of wood or metal piece to keep them standing upright, as on uneven ground they have a tendancy to tip over

in the breeze. We welded some metal pads on them which helped but you need to weld the pipe to one side rather than centered or they can

be hard to knock over. I saw someone post they just set them on a piece of wood and that sounds like it might work well if you have a level

place to put them.

Ours are 2 1/4 - 3 inch steel pipe and I have not noticed any splash back.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

We set ours on rail cleats. Even on an uneven surface you can stand on the cleat and force it flat so you have a good surface for the pipe to stand on.

Guest jeweler jim

Wanted to reply to this earlier but didn't have time until now while I listen to the wind howl and watch the snow blowing. We're the club that has the targets that Bandit was talking about. You don't have to reset them as they hang and the majority of them are two inch pipe with some smaller diameter. The heavier or wider diameter doesn't move as well when you hit them and we use them exclusively for shotgun.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so let's see if I can walk you through our website to see how they are set.

Go to http://www.goodguysposse.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6654

That address should give you one of the threads with stage instructions from one of our shoots and you can click on each stage to see how they are used in each stage. Stage six is an all shotgun stage that has both true knock downs and the "chime targets." Also has one "chime target with the smaller pipe and seven chimes in the target. If for some reason you have difficulty with the web site PM me and I'll see if I can walked through it. To view any of the forums you need not register as that is only required for posting to any of the threads there.

We have also used the bowling pins but the only way you can use those without back splash is scoring the pins with a table saw or skill saw and pealing the plastic off the pins leaving just the wood. Have to be able to go down range to reset the pins after each shooter so that can be a pain in the a$$.

Hope this helps

Regards, jj

P.S. Stages 4 - 6 probably give you the best look at them.

Archived