SASS Wire Forum

Gun Magazine

Chief Rick

"The Consumer Resource For The Serious Shooter"

My mother-in-law sent a few recent copies of this magazine. I'd never heard of it.

Only 32 pages and spendy at $5.95 an issue (news stand price), probably due to no commercial ads in the magazine. Not sure how much a subscription is.

Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with this magazine and can speak to the honesty/accuracy of the reviews.

I had a subsription once. Wasn't worth the money to me. Might be if your into all types of firearms.

Same here. Occasionally, they would review something that I was interested in. IMO, there just isn't enough content to make it worth the price.

As to how accurate their "unbiased" reviews are, I don't know; sometimes their judging criteria seemed a little shaky to me. It seems like they would bash one firearm for a minor flaw while making excuses for a more serious flaw in another that they review higher.

There articles are kind of interesting. Yes, it's pricey due to no advertising. It's a decent magazine, but unless you have a general curiosity about guns or if they happen to review a type of gun you're thinking about buying, it's not as good as other gun magazines out there.

Well, I thought I was on to something good but...

The December 2010 issue compares 308 Rifles. I'm thinking "Great! Love the looks of the M1A/M14. I've been interested in buying or trading for one of these. Sure will be good to see how they compare."

Read the article and they compare a SA M1A Standard, a Fulton Armory M14 (semi-custom?), and a Fulton Armory fully customized PolytechM14/S (with a scope).

Then for the accuracy tests they actually compared the scoped Polytech (using the scope) to the open sights of the other two.

Not a very fair or accurate assessment in my opinion. Kinda like comparing a stock Mustang to a Rousch Stage 3 to a Pro Street drag car.

Archived