SASS Wire Forum

Installing Brass Trigger Guard & Backstrap

Ezekiel J. Rivers

Hey all. I was wanting to pick folks brains this morning about making some mods on my Cimarron Model P. I've been thinking about installing a brass triggerguard and backstrap on it to doll it up a little and make it "mine" so to speak. Is brass going to be structurally less sound than the blued metal that's on it now? Is it going to be more trouble than its worth from a maintenance standpoint? Have any of you guys made a mod like this in the past? I sure like the look of brass on a case hardened revolver but if its gonna cause me trouble I'll forego it.

Thank you in advance. Best regards. Zeke

Hi guy. I am certainly no expert in this regard, but I can speak from what little experience I do have. A few years back I bought a pair of Uberti 1860 Army conversion models with Army-style backstraps/trigger guards in blued steel finish. A friend of mine had a pair of Uberti 1872 Open Tops with brass Navy-style handles. I've always really liked the sleek lines of the 1861 Navy conversions, so I talked my buddy into swapping grips with me to make my 1860's look more like (almost just-like) 1861's. He was fine with that 'cause he has big mits and really liked the Army grips. Everything matched up perfectly and now we are both happy. My brass hamdled "1861's" look really sweet with the Model '66 Yellowboy carbine I shoot them with (and they're all .45 Colt; not historically correct, but convenient). No particular maintenance problems I've encountered so far. Just a little Never Dull or some other kind of brass polish if you like 'em real shiney, or just leave 'em be if you go for the old brass lock look. I think the concerns about strength have more to do with revolver frames in brass, not backstraps or trigger guards. You may need to do some custom fitting of the wood (or whatever material your going with) grips as it is my understanding that, unlike Rugers, no two Uberti grip frames are exactly alike. My $0.02 worth. Good luck w/ your project.

Well brass is not as strong as steel but for your stated use It should not matter unless you plan to do double duty and drive fence nails with the grips. Unless there are fitting problems involved that you can not handle I see no real world problems with this. I have obtained some unfinished '51 brass grip frames to replace the steel '60 Army versions on my R/M Conversions and they will need major fitting and finishing. I plan to just send them off to a smith who does this type work at some point.

Howdy

Although brass is much softer than steel, a trigger guard and backstrap made of brass will not be 'structurally unsound' if mounted on your steel frame. Up until the SAA model of 1873, many Colts had brass trigger guards.

As for the fit, that is touch and go. Traditionally, the soft fitting of a Single Action revolver was done with the trigger guard, and backstrap mounted to the frame. When they were first mounted, the trigger guard and backstrap might over hang the frame. Once fastened together, the three parts would be polished down so all the joints were smooth on the side. Then they would be disassembled and the frame would be case hardened while the backstrap and trigger guard were blued. Once they were reattached the fit would still be perfect. One piece wooden grips were usually mounted to the trigger guard and backstrap the same way and ground down to fit too.

My point is, you may get lucky and an after market brass frame and trigger guard may line up smoothly with the sides of your frame, it may not. Sometimes some filing is needed to match the brass to the frame on the sides. Since your frame is already case hardened, you do not want to be filing on it. One trick if fitting is needed is to bring the brass close to the dimensions of the frame, and then apply masking tape to the frame to protect it while bringing the brass down further.

Or, you may luck out and the fit may be good to begin with. Or you may be happy with a slight mismatch of the parts.

Howdy, I did the reverse. When I bought my first Uberti Cattleman revolver back in 2001, the guy who ordered it, ordered the wrong model and it came in with a brass frame. Since the revolver was a really nice speciman otherwise, I was reluctant to give up the serial number. So, the distributor agreed to take the revolver back and swap in a steel grip frame at no cost. The revolver has negligable fit/finish issues because I understand the entire grip assembly (and trigger gaurd) was swapped with another revolver in stock. Its not perfect, but, I am not one to care much about exacting fit/finish in a utility type revolver.

You will have fitting work on your hands as noted above. I understand from looking at Uberti advertisement videos that the wood and grip frames are "finished" as a unit with the cylinder frame to get really good fit. Expect to have to sand wood and brass as an assembly and restain, etc. If you are not up for that, send it to a gunsmith.

Thanks for the info so far gentlemen. Working on the grips don't scare me but matching the brass to the frame is gonna be a new venture for me. I imagine I can work my way through it. I guess I've owned Harleys too long... I'm always thinking I have to change something to personalize it. The wife says I'm too Type-A for her own good. I found the brass on VTI's website so I'll have to see how long it'll take to get here. Anyone have any experience with VTI replacement parts? I've been polishing brass on my duty belt for 12 years now so I think dull brass would give me hives or something bad like that.

Thanks again for the help. Zeke

Howdy Again

I haven't bought anything from VTI in a long time now, but when I did their service was always good.

At some point you might get tired of polishing those brass parts. Particularly if you shoot Black Powder. Most of us just allow them to age naturally and take on a nice patina.

Like this:

1858 Remington

I did this very thing a few years ago on an ASM 1860 Richards. I found an ASM backstrap, triggerguard and mainspring on e-bay. It hung over the frame by a LOT. Judicious work with a couple files over a couple nights in front of the T.V. and I now have an 1861 Richards. Do yourself a favor, though. If you go this route, either get a PROPER set of screwdrivers, or a set of replacement screws for when you're done.:wacko:

Hey there Driftwood that is one nice Remington you have there. I plan on reloading with smokeless so I won't have to worry about the blackpowder issues you and others have spoke of. I do like the look of the patina finish. It gives the triggerguard a nice subtle look vs. the shiny brass I'm accustom. If I play my cards right I will only have to have Brasso around another 11 years. Glad to hear you had good luck with VTI. Cowboy shooting is all new to me so I am not familiar with suppliers and such. I'm trying to learn as I go and having a blast doing so! I've met some great folks and got some good help and ideas so far. If I get in over my head, with this brass project, I have a few top-notch gunsmiths that can bail me out.

Best regards. Zeke

Archived