SASS Wire Forum

Question for Spanish-American War Historians

J-BAR #18287

I watch DVDs while walking on the treadmill. I'm halfway through "Rough Riders" (Tom Berenger, Sam Elliot, etc.) and though I am not a Gary Busey fan, I am enjoying his portrayal of General "Fightin' Joe" Wheeler.

So I'm curious...did the real General Wheeler attack the Spanish without approval of his superiors?

I know we can't count on Hollywood for historical accuracy, but I would like to know, from those of you who really know, how much license they took in this movie.

Thanks.

J-Bar

I watch DVDs while walking on the treadmill. I'm halfway through "Rough Riders" (Tom Berenger, Sam Elliot, etc.) and though I am not a Gary Busey fan, I am enjoying his portrayal of General "Fightin' Joe" Wheeler.

So I'm curious...did the real General Wheeler attack the Spanish without approval of his superiors?

I know we can't count on Hollywood for historical accuracy, but I would like to know, from those of you who really know, how much license they took in this movie.

Thanks.

J-Bar

"Fightin' Joe Wheeler" is a question.

Maybe "Fightin' Joe Hooker".

Dis "Joe" did attack without approval, catch'em of gaurd.

Based on dat, dats how he was tapped to lead da Yankee Army in da War fer Southern Indepandance.

It was Fightin' Joe Wheeler, and what I've seen is that he didn't have the cooperation of his Cuban allies, but as a high ranking officer in the V Corps (which included the Rough Riders) I don't think he needed any other permission to decide what to do on the ground at Las Guasimas. If someone has better info, though, I will acquiesce to their expertise!

It is at that battle that Wheeler, a former Confederate Cavalry General, reportedly got his wars confused and yelled something along the lines of "Come on boys! We got those damn Yankees on the run!"

It was Fightin' Joe Wheeler, and what I've seen is that he didn't have the cooperation of his Cuban allies, but as a high ranking officer in the V Corps (which included the Rough Riders) I don't think he needed any other permission to decide what to do on the ground at Las Guasimas. If someone has better info, though, I will acquiesce to their expertise!

It is at that battle that Wheeler, a former Confederate Cavalry General, reportedly got his wars confused and yelled something along the lines of "Come on boys! We got those damn Yankees on the run!"

Dang it ! I read da question wrong...again !! ;)

I've looked through many books on Confederate Officers in da Union Army after da Civil War and none called him by his last name. Just "Fightin" Joe". Got two more books to check out. I just though dat "Fightin' Joe" was "Fightin' Joe Hooker", cuz I cant find any "Fightin' Joe Wheeler" in any of my ref. books on da subject...but will keep lookin". ;)

Dang it ! I read da question wrong...again !! ;)

I've looked through many books on Confederate Officers in da Union Army after da Civil War and none called him by his last name. Just "Fightin" Joe". Got two more books to check out. I just though dat "Fightin' Joe" was "Fightin' Joe Hooker", cuz I cant find any "Fightin' Joe Wheeler" in any of my ref. books on da subject...but will keep lookin". ;)

"Google" is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Wheeler

Archived