SASS Wire Forum

SASS National convention

Matthew Duncan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fail to see anything abouth the CHEAP motel and liquor store.......

Do I have to sppeel evrythan out fer u? I said FREE CAMPING.... so I could hit you, Cutter, Carlsbad, LL, etc. up for FREE BEERS! :lol:

Now that I think further about it this sounds like a lot more fun than any hotel in Vegas. Circle the wagons, Cowboys, a party is fixin' to break out in New Mexico.... Yeeeeeee HHhhaaaaaaaa!

Oh yeah..... still need a wagon. Bet LL isn't going to be offering anytime real soon.... dang, Son, what happen to "Wingman Rules?" As in ... when you see yer pard leave the saloon all sudden like with a tall, smilin' redhead then it's time to start lookin' for a ride! :blink:

I forgot about "Wingman Rules", it's been along time since the Disco Era.

I could have been snake bit by one of those Eastern Colorado Rattlers.

LL'

Travel time and cost is a major consideration for folks going to a convention.

If you are driving, you want good interstate roads for as much as possible. And to be as close to the location as you can - to save time and $$.

Since the major population is distributed along the coasts, being in central U.S., such as Kansas City, St Louis or Oklahoma City, guarantees that the people in the most populated parts of the county will have to drive about two days - with a night to stay somewhere.

So if you are planning to fly, you will want direct flights that take you to the end location. Take a look at the flight schedules for

Delta:

Delta US Flight Map

and American:

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/American_Airlines.shtml

You will notice that Branson, KC, St Louis, and OKC will require a change of planes for most folks. Plus, since the cost is normally lower for full planes where many want to fly, the costs are often higher for places like that.

Flying where you have to change planes, pay more, then rent a car and drive more than a couple hours will definitely discourage attendance.

Plus, if you fly into a large metro-mess (metroplex), you will need transportation to many of the better convention places. If the place has good local transportation such as the D.C. metro or similar, that can help.

If you want to go in the winter, you want to be generally south and or close to the ocean.

The end result is that some places truly shine, including Vegas and Salt Lake City. They are easy to fly to, not so large as to require much for local transportation, the travel costs are reduced and hotels are fairly reasonable. Plus, Vegas is pretty close for the Southern Cal folks, so they can drive if they like.

So relatively remote locations, even moderately large cities, such as OKC, KC, St Louis, and certainly Branson, MO would probably not be very successful.

Archived