SASS Wire Forum

Dragoon Query

Come On Christmas

I know there are improvements to the 3rd generation Dragoon, but is it the same size as the Walker? I wish ther was some store in the DFW area to look at both of them at the same time.

Shameless

I also want to research the Dragoons more, as I would like to pair one up with a Walker I already have. Benn teling the wife that I absolutly need one for holster sizing.... :lol: I think the various Dragoons were in between the Walker and '60 Army size(?), which was actually on the '51 Navy frame. Before I purchase I plan to search some of the web resources and perhaps find out what "Shooting Colt Revolvers of the Old West" has to say about them. I can not tap into my resources at the moment due to being out of town.

I know there are improvements to the 3rd generation Dragoon, but is it the same size as the Walker? I wish ther was some store in the DFW area to look at both of them at the same time.

Shameless

Would it help if I took a picture of one of mine and send it to you??

Texas Lizard

No, the Walker was the largest, there are three Dragoons, all larger than the 1860.

The Walkers were 15-3/4" long and weighed nearly four and a half pounds.

Eli Whitney, Jr. manufactured the first run of 1848 Dragoons for Colt at his Whitneyville factory in Connecticut. The single action revolver was a transitional model that improved on the Colt Walker. This earliest Dragoon had an improved loading lever, a shorter cylinder, and weighed less.

If you go here: Walker and Dragoon

Scroll down a little more than half way down the page. There is a picture that shows a Colt Walker and a Dragoon together for comparison.

Archived