SASS Wire Forum

Say What?

Iron Pony

Listening to the radio here in the loading room and my favorite Boston talk station reports governor Deval Patrick has just signed off to give Smith and Wesson 6 million in incentives to improve their HQ and mfg. Huh?

Someone please remind me, arent a lot of the S&W products on the "cant buy it here" list. Why would a state with such strict gun laws hand out this kind of money for an industry they obviously hate? Who is getting the kickback here?

Hmmm....

Actually, my Northern border friends, S&W has a very long list of "approved" guns in MA...

I think the fact that S&W is a firearms manufacturer had less to do with this deal than our governor's desire to show an increase in jobs SOMEWHERE....

S&W promised to add 225 new jobs as part of this deal...whether or not that actualy hapens is another issue. Western MA is in desperate need of manufacturing jobs, and it would be a blessing...even at the reported average salaries of $30-40K.

Besides, MA is just allowing them to MAKE guns here....they really would prefer that you SELL them elsewhere... :unsure::huh:

LL

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I want to look good, but not in my back yard, you don't.

If that is not politicalspeak, I don't have a clue what is.

The nut jobs are running the country.

More tax dollars?

Cash

Cash:

Well, the way I look at it is that the money ($9MM) has already been assessed, collected, banked and appropriated for economic development and job creation. Giving it to S&W (who is moving production of their Thompson Center line to MA) is a GOOD thing, when compared with dumping it into some Smoothie stand. After all, we're talking about helping a FIREARMS manufacturer, we're creating 225 new SKILLED manufacturing jobs in the US, and, assuming that this plan works, those jobs will continue for years after the money has been paid, keeping families fed and paying taxes back to the Commonwealth. If it works, everybody gains. A $9MM start-up boost is a drop in the bucket of the budget, and if it spurs this kind of job development, I say "GO!"

At the least, it is a REAL plan for some more jobs, not some "Hopey-Changey Thing" like "Green economy jobs" that is being promised up and down with no concrete development.

LL

Sounds to me like a good plan.. Lett move open a Colt plant in CA and put people back to work.. Ah.. do you think they will ask me to leave here soon?? lol

Thanks for the link Hacker, I had not heard about the TC tie in but it makes sense. Still hard to figure out why they would close a viable plant in tax free NH and move the operation to MA but like Badger says its all politics, and money.

Loophole I agree with your take on it, if the jobs show up remains to be seen. Its sad however to see a long term Rochester company leaving the state. I recall going into Fox Ridge Outfitters to pick up a White Mtn carbine bbl for a Penns rifle I had and the time the guys took with me getting everything right. Funny but a quick look at the website shows neither of those being made anymore.

Archived