SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Firing Pins

Zeak

Slicking up a 20 gauge stoeger!

I have the cylinders polished and the hulls are "falling" out now. The trigger switch will be next and I have that figured out. That last thing that I want to do to the stoeger is take the firing pins out to inspect, clean or replace. Having not done this operation I thought I had better summon someone who has. I see where I have to make the "special pin wrench" No problem there. Is that the first and only step to removing the pins or do you have to remove any of the gear behind? Hammers etc.

I get the occasional missfire and I am leaning more towards crud in there as opposed to the action opening a little. It seems to happen much more often afer a box or two of shells. It has had a black powder past as well.

Appriecate any help!

Zeke

I have that link Dallas. Those were the ones that I will get if needed. What I am looking for now is a little info on getting old ones out.

Thanks,

Zeke

Slicking up a 20 gauge stoeger!

I have the cylinders polished and the hulls are "falling" out now. The trigger switch will be next and I have that figured out. That last thing that I want to do to the stoeger is take the firing pins out to inspect, clean or replace. Having not done this operation I thought I had better summon someone who has. I see where I have to make the "special pin wrench" No problem there. Is that the first and only step to removing the pins or do you have to remove any of the gear behind? Hammers etc.

I get the occasional missfire and I am leaning more towards crud in there as opposed to the action opening a little. It seems to happen much more often afer a box or two of shells. It has had a black powder past as well.

Appriecate any help!

Zeke

I take my pins out yearly to clean them. I loosen the bushings in side of the bushing is firing pin and return spring,nothing else to come flying out at one. The FP springs are a small light weight coil spring. I replaced the firing pins with those from Longhunter,when I clean them and lube with Ezzox and haven't had any rust. The first time I took them out ,their was quite a bit of metal debris not to mention some gooey grease in them and the recess in the firing pin bushings. Good Luck Adios Sgt. Jake

I have always just used a couple of the butt ends of small drill bits taped together at the ends. Use a screw driver in lever mode between them. Put the pins in the holes outside the firing pin hole. Make sure you also smooth up the firing pin holes by running a drill bit through the firing pin holes by HAND (one that barely fits). As the original pins get a bit fatter through use, they won't hang up so easy.

Like Sgt. Jake stated. Just unscrew the firing pin collars and the pins and retracting springs come right out the front. No other disassenbly necessary. Quick and easy.

When ordering the wrench, also order new pins, as the originals are soft and tend to mushroom and cause Failure to Fire problems. The new pins are a very hard alloy of Stainless Steel, and won't mushroom like the originals.

RBK

Hello the camp! I have snap ring pliers, drill bits and the usual suspects. However, I have found enough difference in hole spacing to make custom tools advisable. I take a screwdriver and make several passes, as reqd, with a Dremel cutoff wheel across the tip to form the tines. Takes less time to do than it does to talk about it. Since I have half a gigabyte in screwdrivers--well, maybe not, but way too many--tool source is not a problem. A Sharpy will mark the handle to ID the tool. My .02. mm

I take my pins out yearly to clean them. I loosen the bushings in side of the bushing is firing pin and return spring,nothing else to come flying out at one. The FP springs are a small light weight coil spring. I replaced the firing pins with those from Longhunter,when I clean them and lube with Ezzox and haven't had any rust. The first time I took them out ,their was quite a bit of metal debris not to mention some gooey grease in them and the recess in the firing pin bushings. Good Luck Adios Sgt. Jake

That was the info that I was looking for. It's that "flying out" stuff that one comes to fear. I see no problems now. That will be next weeks job / project. We're going to trudge through a little snow to the range this morning to try a Rossi '357 that we put Nate's kit in.

Thanks Jake and all others that jumped in,

Zeke

SASS 89367

Archived