SASS Wire Forum

RCBS Lockout Die

Packrat Ron

I've used one of these (on .38 spl), and can see a real good reason it will not be very accurate on a 44-40. These dies work by lowering a plunger through the case mouth to set on top of the loose powder in the case. With a straight-wall case, the powder cannot slip out from under the plunger - there is no place for the powder to be squeezed out into. With the bottleneck case, either the plunger can move the powder as it drops, splashing it out into the outer edge of the case, or a progressive press's motion can leave the powder piled up against the case wall in a not-very-predictable location. So, although the lockout die will not be as accurate, and will probably lead to faulty readings - occasionally locking when it should not, and not locking when it should, the lockout die in the .44-40 will still PROBABLY do what most of us want - that is, detect the total absence of powder, or the dreaded double charge.

Better than not having it on the press, but I can see why the manufacturer does not recommend it, as it is not going to be as accurate as they designed it to be.

So, take your pick. It's not ideal, but you should test to see if it is "good enough" for your purposes.

Good luck, GJ

The plunger doesn't seal against the powder, I don't see that as a problem, but since the case is not the same diameter at the top, it may not contact the die correctly. why don't you call RCBS and ask them????

I have loaded thousands of 44-40 on a 550B and my cases are easy to tell because they are full of 2F. But my point is that the powder is for the most part in the center and not all lopsided in the case. Unless you are shooting 2.7 grs of bullseye I see no problems. The above posting was correct in calling RCBS so that you hear it from the horses mouth.

Here is the answer I received from RCBS......

"Ronald, you won't have a problem with the 44-40 as they have a large

enough case mouth with only a 4 degree shoulder. Have a great day.

Thank you,

Technical Service Department/rm

ATK/RCBS Operation

(800) 533-5000

605 Oro Dam Blvd E.

Oroville, CA 95965"

Archived