SASS Wire Forum

how to get ammo to the founders ranch for international shooters

dutch bear

Howdy

i know its a bit early to start with questions for the 2011 EOT but as I live in The Neterlands(Europe)

it wil take a lot of planning (and $) to shoot the EOT next year.

any idears how i could get my ammo at the founders ranch for the EOT 2011?

this is what i know so far:

1.you can buy ammo at the EOT, but as i shoot frontier cartridge and i haven't seen that much BP ammo on sale this year i think that would be a risk

2.i can take 5KG(11LBS) of ammo with me on the flight, but i have weight my ammo and11LBS is about 200 .45's or 44-40's and that just isn't enough(not even considering the weight of my shotgun ammo)

3. my wyfe is comming to, but as she want's to shoot as well i can't take advantage from her 5kg of ammo

4.i have a couple of offers from people willing to take ammo i order online to the EOT(ussing their adres as shipping adres), but then i wouldn't be able to train with the ammo till i get to the EOT

5. as i shoot an antique double hammer shotgun(has somthing to do with te gunlaws here in The Netherlands) i'm not that keen on shooting loads i don't know, so i would prefer to have my own ammo with me.

has annyone experience with shipping ammo directly to the founders ranch?

is it legal to ship BP ammo?

i have seen shooters from around the world on this years EOT, so somone must have solved this puzzle before me

greetings

Dutch Bear

Dutch Bear

I Live one mile from Founders Ranch and I Run Security for EOT. You can send your ammo to me. Send me a PM and I will send you the mailing address

Best Regards

Bighorn

Regulator #1522

I was thinking you could contact Diamond J Gunsmithing, however accept Bighorn's kind offer. Black powder ammo is shipped in the US but I don't know the regulations and restrictions for international shipments. I hope to meet you at the next EOT. I'll be shooting Frontier Cartridge myself.

Howdy

In the past we have ordered ammo from Cliffhanger and also from Ammo Direct. There are others.

Get it sent to someone close (Bighorn).

If you are worried about the loads being different then get more than you need and try them out - go shoot 'The Revenge' in Cortez the week before - great shoot and even greater people.

Have fun - we did!!

Thanx for the info so far

and Bighorn thanx for the offer,i'll get back to you on that as soon as i know that i can ship BP ammo.

ik know that i can sent ammo to the USA, but the problem is the BP part, i know of a couple of airlines that have banned BP ammo

and as far as i can see is BP ammo sent within the US sent by surface mail.

so i'm still hoping for a reaction from an other international shooter who has all the answers.

greetings and hope to meet you all next year

Dutch Bear

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Another furriner here..... :D

I shot Frontier Cartridge for some years at EOT... so I'll tell you what I did...

Yes, I took the max allowed on the flight (5kg)*... but I also took a single stage press and my Lee Load All... with unprimed shotgun hulls and brass...

I pre-ordered BP lubed projectiles - had them sent to a kind and helpful US shooter - and bought primers/powder/filler on arrival.

Clamped the loading gear to the table in the hotel.. and loaded my ammo right there...

That way I got to shoot MY loads.....

Opinions vary of course, but I found the commercial BP ammo to be too stout and too $$$$$ (the Aussie $ is worth a lot more now than it was then so that wouldn't be so bad these days...)

* I have NEVER seen any mention by any airline that "BP loads" are not allowed. I doubt if the people who write the IATA regulations even know the difference!

I never mentioned it to the airline either because A: They didn't ask, and

B: ...it is ALL "Safety Cartridge" ammunition.. I feel that the propellent is irrelevant!

Another furriner here..... :rolleyes:

* I have NEVER seen any mention by any airline that "BP loads" are not allowed. I doubt if the people who write the IATA regulations even know the difference!I never mentioned it to the airline either because A: They didn't ask, and

B: ...it is ALL "Safety Cartridge" ammunition.. I feel that the propellent is irrelevant!

NO...problem with BP ammo...the TSA regs. DON'T address the type of propellant NOR differentiate between hand-loaded ammo, and commerically manufactured.

this is the way it looks now:

i'm taking my 5kg(11lbs) of ammo with me and the wife will take 5 kg too (44-40 loaded with triple 7 to be on the save side)

the rest i will order in the US(i'm in the process now) and hopefully send it to the "Revenge of Montezuma"match in cortez

a couple off the other dutch guys going to the EOT are planning on loading their ammo on site, they want to order a dillon 650 press and convert it to BP(same as we have done here)

and then load all there ammo at the EOT,i think it is an option, but one that will require a lot of work on site(setting up the press, an then loading all the rounds(about 1000 for us, not including the 12ga) and then you still have to find a way to load your shotgun shells.

time will tell, what is the better option

as to why we will only bring 44-40, my 1873 is pretty slick and picky about its ammo,the 6 six shooters aren't this picky and the 12ga ammo is to heavy any way

greetings

Dutch Bear

• 4 months later...

Are there ammo merchants on site too? While I'm not coming from overseas, it's still a 2,000 mile trip (my first to EOT) and I wouldn't mind picking up some ammo. I'm going to be a Conventioneer, but not register to shoot the main matches.

Yes there should be ammo for sale Sass will have some at the Mercantile don't know about others at this point.

Bighorn

• 4 weeks later...

There are problems loading your own at the last minute. Any one of the many parts in a Dillon 650 can break. Mine only breaks when i'm under deadline. Fortunately for anyone needing parts I'll be there on the 17th and have a lot of spare parts for 650s. The Dillon people won't be there until it's too late most likely. Find me if you need anything. Camp Baylor is easily found.

Next year ask early. Several of us can probably load ammo to your recipe for the cost of components. This beats dealing with Anti-gun Airlines.

Archived