SASS Wire Forum

Perfect Pattern for cartridge loads?

Has anyone tried Hodgdon Perfect Pattern in cartridge loads (38spl, 44-40, 45 Colt, etc)?  With Clays, Clay Dot, Red Dot, Promo, etc, getting scarce this may be a promising powder given its spot on the burn rate chart.

Edited by Steady Dutchman

• Steady Dutchman changed the title to Perfect Pattern for cartridge loads?

I've seen no cartridge data for Perfect Pattern YET.  In theory it would be suitable.  But I know of no company willing to perform pressure testing and other safety tests on cartridges.

I've seen tons of data for cartridges with TiteGroup powder, which is also very available.   Make it easy on yourself and get some TG for now, and perhaps someone else will test out PP.  (Hint, that is something very similar to what I'm doing right now)

good luck, GJ.

• Like 2

GJ thanks for your reply. Agree on the TiteGroup… there’s suitable cartridge powders still available. My thoughts and interest is this post was that PP could possibly be a great replacement for the mentioned Clays, Red Dot, Clay Dot as a one-powder solution for both shot shells and metallic cartridges. Btw, as far as I know Alliant to this day Alliant hasn’t released metallic cartridge data for Clay Dot… yet it’s perfectly suitable. 

Yes, (PP might work dual purposes),

and yes, (no Clay Dot cartridge data has appeared),

to all those. 

And I was a little surprised when Hodgdon made the GRAND, miraculous discovery that TiteGroup could also be a fine shotgun powder about 12 months ago.  :rolleyes:

Most of us cowboys had known that for a couple of years.

good luck, GJ

• Like 1

I believe Deuce Steven's did some testing with Perfect Pattern in 38 special loads.  

Another possibilty is Win. WST.

Macon

1 hour ago, Macon Due said:

Another possibility is Win. WST.

Already proven to be a good dual purpose powder, just not every pistol cartridge has some published data from Hodgdon.  Like .45 Colt, but I run WST in the Colt all the time.

good luck, GJ

most all shotgun powders can be converted to the pistol caliber loads but one has to do the research and development based on known similar burn rates and such , im not familiar with that powder at all , .but ill keep watching as i may find some in the future