SASS Wire Forum

Sig 308

My son is a bad influence and has got me thinking about AR rifles in 308.  I held a smith and ruger and Diamondback but none compared to the quality I could feel when I held an Sig Tread.  I didn’t buy it but got to looking on line and saw an Sig Tread is around 1700 but an Sig Spear is around $4,000.  

I’m trying to figure out how the Spear is worth $2,300 more.  Best I can figure the main difference is the spear has a folding stock and can be fired while folded .  The gas is adjustable for a suppressor by turning a knob, it has a rear AND side charging handle , and  is ambidextrous .  It seems beefier but otherwise why the extra cost?

I cannot comment on the Sig Tread or Spear.
I can comment that my Ruger SFAR is becoming a favorite long gun of mine. I did have to send it back to Ruger to have the upgraded gas regulator installed, but since getting it back it runs aces for me. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c8d83037615b3fa9ddeae45c8606d83a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:.  It seems beefier but otherwise why the extra cost?

Because of some of the things you mentioned, it can be fired with the stock folded , the piston set up , for suppressors and different ammunition. It’s really just a beefed up sig mcx . I have the mcx and it’s a fantastic 223 . The bbls are easy to swap out if you want different lengths and calibers , don’t know if or when the 277 fury will ever be offered in it , the scar is really it’s only competition and I personally would much rather have the spear . It’s the caddy of the semi automatic battle rifle right now and it’s the new military rifle. If it had been out when I got my POF I would’ve definitely considered one. Right now it seems demand for the spear and spear light “mcx” seems to be higher than the supply so I don’t see the price coming down anytime soon. 
I don’t know what the 308 spear is shooting like but the MCX Virtus I have ‘223” will shoot moa with just about any quality ammo , it loves the IMI 77gr razor core ammo and will shoot about 3/4 moa with my hand loads . 

• Like 1

I had seen brownells selling the parts to make a 5.56 AR shoot while the stock is folded for 600 , now I see the Sig 5.56 also does that.  I had ignored Sig due to the price, buying mostly the smith etc.  

I really wish the Sig 308 was cheaper.  4,000 sure is high.  It have to be my last gun ever. 

6 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I had seen brownells selling the parts to make a 5.56 AR shoot while the stock is folded for 600 , now I see the Sig 5.56 also does that.  I had ignored Sig due to the price, buying mostly the smith etc.  

I really wish the Sig 308 was cheaper.  4,000 sure is high.  It have to be my last gun ever. 

If you’re shopping price the SFAR really is the best bang for the buck . It and the POF are much smaller and lighter than any of the other AR10’s on the market. The Brownells uppers are like the old AR 180’s , the springs are in the receiver ,anything with the action spring in the buffer tube is not going to be able to be shot while folded if that’s something you’re looking for. To my knowledge Brownells doesn’t make a BRN180 style upper in 308 , but you never know what’s in the works . If you’re just looking for a 308 semi auto there’s always a HK 91 or FAL , M1A .

• Thanks 1