SASS Wire Forum

"Greener sailing" cargo ships

I didn't want to hijack the Ba-Dump Tissssh - Memes thread further with the argument about "sailing" ships.

Here are two different concepts of how "sails" can be used on modern ships, both of these concepts shouldn't require a significant increase in the crew.

https://mikeshouts.com/oceanbird-cargo-vessel-by-wallenius-marine/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotor_ship  There are a number of these ships in service and Airbus just ordered 6 ships to transport airplane wings to the US.

With proper planning to take into account the longer delivery times, ships powered this way should be an economical replacement for some cargo ships.

• Thanks 3

Thanks.  These seem to be primarily wind driven, with a back up motor capability. The other threads comments were about using wind to augment the standard motor propulsion.  For many things, such as the car carriers in the example, a few extra days really won't matter.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It’s worth a try. I doubt it would be enough to replace all the 20K TEU vessels sailing the seas.

I can't see the "masts" making big inroads into the containership market, but for general cargo, they may have an impact.  I do see the kite/parasail augmentation possibly making a significant difference in merchant shipping.  The mechanism to deploy and furl the kite style sails wouldn't take much deck space, and could even be in pods mounted on the hull outside the deck.