SASS Wire Forum

Ruger NV indexing...mystery?

Doc Moses

Been an Old Vaquero guy but I recently got my first New Vaquero. 45 colt/45acp stainless. Like the slightly smaller frame an LOVE the 'index-on-the-cylinder' feature, or just take it out and free spin. Super easy. Opened the gate and...oh well the previous owner must have already taken out the screw and plunger because the cylinder goes both ways.

Found my dream 44, Ruger stainless "New Vaquero" with 3.5" barrel and birdshead. Decided to take out the indexing screw to make it like my 45. Take it out...no free spin. Look at my 45, which does free spin, and...the indexing screw and plunger are still in, but it free spins!  I didn't take out the 45 because it is spinning, when it shouldn't, but took out and replaced the one in the 44 several times. Tried setting the screw to different depth. No joy. No free spin. I am fine without the free spin but I am curious about why the two revolvers seem to function so differently. The 44 is NV in name only as it is the OV frame, but it has the screw and plunger.

The 45 IS a NV and has the screw and plunger yet it DOES free spin. Below are pics. You can see that the 44 plunger protrudes further than the 45 but why won't it free spin when its out...and why does the 45free spin when its in?

Thoughts?

(The 44 has my orange stick coming from the back, the 45 in front.)

IMG_20240218_215353372_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_222016795.jpg

Edited by Doc Moses

The free spin feature does not depend on the little spring loaded detent.  How well it works depends on how well the tail on the pawl fits into the groove in the gripframe.  Some are well fitted from the factory some are not.  The detent is actually supposed to keep the cylinder from spinning backwards.

DSC_0018.thumb.jpeg.cdc54a9439c040009bbfdc058352bc98.jpeg

• Thanks 1

With the cylinder out make sure the hammer is fully down and look at the tip of the pawl.  If it is retracted below the ratchet pocket it should free spin when the detent is removed from the gun.

DSC_0014.thumb.jpeg.5822c5e3c7d789353c7aeace990a6e50.jpeg

If the pawl tip is flush or sticking out the cylinder will not free spin.

DSC_0009.thumb.jpeg.960dcdb75d8040f6a92777b300a3ab78.jpeg

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yep. Agree with Larson. I have a NV that broke the hand. I had removed the spring and plunger and it would free spin both ways. After the hand was replaced it will no longer free spin backwards. I have noticed that the hand protrudes just a little bit. But enough to stop the backspin. 

Sam Sackett