SASS Wire Forum

Army Cooking, Then and Now

Subdeacon Joe

"Having been out preparing for, and then fighting in the Battle of White Marsh, Surgeon Albigence Waldo kept up his journal. He would write, “Were Soldiers to have plenty of Food & Rum, I believe they would Storm Tophet…Pain succeeds Pleasure, & Pleasure succeeds Pain."  As the days went on, the army slowly moved towards Valley Forge; Dr. Waldo wrote of the hardships of the life in the army. I wanted to share with you his comments as we, this Christmas season, enjoy the benefits that these individuals suffered for in 1777.

-----------

December 8. - All at our Several Posts. Provisions & Whiskey very scarce. Were Soldiers to have plenty of Food & Rum, I believe they would Storm Tophet. Our Lines were on a long high hill extending about three Miles - all Man'd. An Abettes in front from Right to Left - another in the rear of the Left, with a Cross Abettee near the Extremety.

Five men from each Regt in Varnum's & Huntington's Brigades as Volunteers join'd Morgan's Rifle Men to Harrass the Enemy, and excite an Attack. Some Regt B were ordered to march out if an Attack should begin in earnest. This Afternoon a small Skirmish happen'd near the Enemies lines against our left. Towards Night the Enemy fired some Cannon against our Right & 2 against our left. Their horse appear'd to be busily moving. In the Evening there were but two spots of fires in the Enemies Camp. One against our Park (or main center); the other against the extremity of our Left, when the evening before they extended from almost our Right to our Left. At 12 o'clock at Night our Regt, with Sixteen more were Ordered to parade immediately before his Excellencies Quarters under Command of Sullivan & Wayne. We were there by One, when Intelligence came that the Enemy had made a precipitate retreat and was safely got into the City. We were all Chagrin'd at this, as we were more willing to Chase them in Rear, than meet such Sulkey Dogs in Front. We were now remandad back with several draughts of Rum in our frozen bellies, which made us so glad we all fell asleep in our open huts, nor experienced the Coldness of the Night 'till we found ourselves much stiffened by it in the Morning.

December 9. We came from within the breastworks, Where we had been coop'd up four tedious Days, with Cloaths & Boots on Night and Day, and resumed our old Hutts East of the Breastwork. The rest of the Army Chiefly had their huts within the Lines. We are insensible what we are capable of enduring till we are put to the test. To endure hardships with a good grace we must allways think of the following Maxim: "Pain succeeds Pleasure, & Pleasure succeeds Pain."

December 14. - Prisoners & Deserters are continually coming in. The Army which has been surprisingly healthy hitherto, now begins to grow sickly from the continued fatigues they have suffered this Campaign. Yet they still show a spirit of Alacrity & Contentment not to be expected from so young Troops. I am Sick – discontented -and out of humour. Poor food - hard lodging - Cold Weather – fatigue - Nasty Cloaths - nasty Cookery - Vomit half my time - smoak'd out of my senses - the Devil's in't - I can't Endure it - Why are we sent here to starve and Freeze - What sweet Felicities have I left at home; A charming Wife - pretty Children - Good Beds - good food – good Cookery - all agreeable – all harmonious. Here all Confusion - smoke & Cold - hunger & filthiness - A pox on my bad luck. There comes a bowl of beef soup - full of burnt leaves and dirt, sickish enough to make a Hector spue - away with it Boys - I'll live like the Chameleon upon Air. Poh ! Poh ! crys Patience within me - you talk like a fool. Your being sick Covers your mind with a Melanchollic Gloom, which makes every thing about you appear gloomy. See the poor Soldier, when in health - with what cheerfulness he meets his foes and encounters every hardship – if barefoot, he labours thro' the Mud & Cold with a Song in his mouth extolling War & Washington - if his food be bad, he eats it notwithstanding with seeming content - blesses God for a good Stomach and Whistles it into digestion. But harkee Patience, a moment - There comes a Soldier, his bare feet are seen thro' his worn out Shoes, his legs nearly naked from the tatter'd remains of an only pair of stockings, his Breeches not sufficient to cover his nakedness, his Shirt hanging in Strings, his hair dishevell'd, his face meagre; his whole appearance pictures a person forsaken & discouraged. He comes, and crys with an air of wretchedness & despair, I am Sick, my feet lame, my legs are sore, my body cover'd with this tormenting Itch - my Cloaths are worn out, my Constitution is broken, my former Activity is exhausted by fatigue, hunger & Cold, I fail fast I shall soon be no more! and all the reward I shall get will be - "Poor Will is dead." People who live at home in Luxury and Ease, quietly possessing their habitations, Enjoying their Wives & families in peace, have but a very faint Idea of the unpleasing sensations, and continual Anxiety the Man endures who is in a Camp, and is the husband and parent of an agreeable family. These same People are willing we should suffer every thing for their Benefit & advantage, and yet are the first to Condemn us for not doing more ! !

Valley Forge, 1777-1778. Diary of Surgeon Albigence Waldo, of the Connecticut Line.

Image: World War II propaganda poster, Valley Forge, U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.

1000005745.thumb.jpg.4f9246c03032da3ff795e7b05ac12f5c.jpg

©2019-2023 Clifford Olsen/250Years America’s Founding
#otd #americanhistory #liberty #250America #historyteacher #ushistory #historybuff #SARHistory

Its been quite some time since I've read it, but as the story goes, during Desert Storm American servicemen were being given three MREs a day which worked out to about 9000 calories.  It was the first time American servicemen actually gained weight eating field rations.

My wife was a navy brat , she has mentioned that growing up her family often ate MREs etc that her father acquired to supplement the family grocery budget as well as taking advantage of what grew in the area they found themselves stationed in , it was tuff feeding five kids on their budget , she wont even look at an MRE anymore , thankfully she is a gourmet cook and we can afford to eat what she fixes 

Archived