SASS Wire Forum

Got a LOT of venison

Buckshot Bear

1 hour ago, Last Call Saul said:

Maybe pouring water ON the bag? Submerging the open bag will displace air inside...

I've heard of doing that, but he said in the bag. That's why I was requesting clarification.

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I have packed fish like this for years

Remember back when milk came in half gallon wax coated cardboard cartons? I've heard of people cutting the top of the carton off, putting their fish in the carton, then filling the carton up with water and putting the carton in the freezer. And that kept the fish fine.

But I've never heard of keeping red meat frozen in a block of ice.

On 12/9/2023 at 10:12 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Got a LOT of venison today from a mate ... never cooked it before and never eaten it before.

What's a good way for a newbie to try cooking it for the best experience?

We treated our venison just like beef, didn't matter if it was steak, roasts or ground (with added beef or pork fat). We grilled it mostly, but made hamburgers, sloppy joes, tacos, burritos, chili, spaghetti, roasts, stew, etc. The thing is to keep it moist and eat it right away, don't let it sit for awhile, it will dry out real quick. Just don't overcook it. We love it.

TM

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

I must be missing something here.

You put the meat in the bag. You fill the bag up with water, which gets rid of all the air in the bag. Now you seal the bag and put it in the freezer.

The water in the bag freezes. It expands, tearing the bag or popping the seal or both.

You see my confusion.

You are making an assumption which is wrong. Try it then you will understand.

kR

Archived