SASS Wire Forum

WTB a really long shot and a prayer, 1898 Marlin shotgun Model 42 magazine!

If you have one of these I would be interested in trying to buy it.  One on ebay with forearm and action but the price is pretty s_________ I will let you fill in the rest since this is a family friendly forum. Don't need anything but the magazine tube, I have the spring follower and cap. As far as I can tell this has to come off a Model 42. If somebody knows what else will work that would be good. I have searched all the normal sources but couldn't find what I needed.

Thanks for your help,

Marlin

I still have three Marlin exposed hammer pump shotguns.  I also have a few spare parts. I will pull the guns out and compare them. I have a like new 42, a full race model 19, and a Frankenstein model 49.

Stay tuned!!

OKAY!! I pulled my three Marlin shotguns out of the safe and examined them closely. Here is what I found.

The Model 19 magazine tube and slide are not interchangeable with the 42. This indicates to me, from previous experience, that models preceding and up to the 19 are not what you’re looking for. There were several models that were solid frame and they would also not work.

The Model 49 magazine tube and slide/forend appear to be identical. I have taken photos of them to assist in comparison. They are posted below.

This means that the front half of at least SOME Model 28s will also interchange. I know this because I used a Model 28 barrel and mag assembly to replace one on another Model 49 that was damaged. It fit and worked perfectly without any modification or other issues.

The Model 28 is a hammerless version made by Marlin during the same period and they are usually pretty cheap to acquire.

The pictures below are of my 42 and 49, taken a few minutes ago. The Model 42 is on the upper portion of each picture. I apologize for the less than perfect images, but they SHOULD show you what you need to see.

Sorry! I don’t have a spare tube.

IMG_0091.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

Marlin also made a Model 24 hammer pump gun.  As I recall, the one I had was different from both the 42 and 49 and also different from my Model 19.

One other note!!  It appears that the complete barrel/mag/slide can be interchaged, ie. the Model 19 barrel assembly would fit the other models and vise-versa.  All of the attaching points look exactly the same. As I said, the Model 28 assembly went directly onto the damaged 49. It only makes sense that Marlin wouldn’t change machine processes that they didn’t have to in order to produce new models.

OH!! ONE MORE THING!

The Marlin exposed hammer pump shotguns are NOT all 1898s!!

The 1898 IS a hammer pump gun, but Marlin re-engineered the action when a serious design flaw, (resulting in the “Widowmaker” nickname) was discovered.

The Model 17 through the Model 42 all were improved and several layers of safety were added. The Model 49 was produced as a giveaway for investors when Marlin was sold and reorganized. It too has the updated action.

Maurauder has a website with huge amounts of gun information and tips. On his website is an instructional page, written by Rusty Marlin, on how to inspect, safety check, and maintain the Marlin exposed hammer pump shotguns.

ANYONE who owns and plans to shoot one of these should, (and I believe MUST) read that article!!

Be safe! Have fun!

I’d try it if it was me!  Photos and a couple of videos tell me that you’re likely to get what you want/need!

I'm seriously impressed with the effort that Blackwater invested to help a cowboy out! Big kudos!!!

5 hours ago, Max Payne said:

I'm seriously impressed with the effort that Blackwater invested to help a cowboy out! Big kudos!!!

It wasn’t really much.  I’m mostly sitting on my backside, waiting for my foot to heal. I have a lot of experience with those old Marlins and they are becoming more and more scarce. And my safe is in the next room with those guns right up front.

What’s twenty minutes total if it gets a cowboy’s gun working??

I am impressed with his help also.  But he has helped me before with a cowboy hat that needed a pencil roll fixed and ribbon bound plus a ribbon around the crown.  He might not remember it but I always  will.

Marlin

Archived