SASS Wire Forum

Shooting 475 Year old guns!

I hope the title of this thread caught your eye.   And if it did, I am sure you are wondering, how can I have shot guns almost 500 years old at a SASS shoot today?

Well, it if you have a Colt Lighting made in 1891 (132 years old), a pair of Colt Bisleys made in 1901 and 1904 (122 and 119 years old respectively) and and relatively young Parker shotgun made in 1921, (for 102 years of age) that all adds up to 475.

What do you get when you shoot such wonderful old timers?   A boatload of fun!   I may not have shot a clean match, but I really enjoyed myself taking out these old timers.   The pistols and rifle are all in .32-20 and the Parker is a 20 gauge, in case you are interested.

Here's a video of me shooting that one of the spectators was kind enough to record for me.  The angle isn't the best, but I think you can see how much I was enjoying myself.

As to why the cartridge in the pistol didn't go bang didn't go bang, I have no idea.   The primer had a respectable hit.   Oh well.  Better luck next time.

Using your tally system and thinking that next weekend at The Black Gold Shootout I am shooting forty different guns over the two day, ren stage match, I will be shooting shotguns alone that total a thousand years!!

I have two ‘97s that are each 117 years old and two ‘93s that are 129 and 127 years old respectively. I have an 1883 Remington 10ga that’s 150 and a Marlin Model 19 that’s 116! There’s another Marlin, a Model 42 that’s 100 and two Tula TOZ66s that are over 40 years old. One last Marlin, a Model 49 that’s 95!  That’s 1,031 years!  :rolleyes: :lol:

43 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Using your tally system and thinking that next weekend at The Black Gold Shootout I am shooting forty different guns over the two day, ren stage match, I will be shooting shotguns alone that total a thousand years!!

I have two ‘97s that are each 117 years old and two ‘93s that are 129 and 127 years old respectively. I have an 1883 Remington 10ga that’s 150 and a Marlin Model 19 that’s 116! There’s another Marlin, a Model 42 that’s 100 and two Tula TOZ66s that are over 40 years old. One last Marlin, a Model 49 that’s 95!  That’s 1,031 years!  :rolleyes: :lol:

Heh heh...   That's cheating!   Using more than 4 guns!

Unless....

Well, if it's a big regional shoot and you are doing side matches, I guess you could compare that to others who are as well and they add up their totals.

But for only a "normal" monthly match, it's just 4 firearms!   

I guess.   I dunno....

There was one Tri-State I went to where I switched guns almost every stage for various reasons.  So maybe...

Of course, not everything I used at that match was ancient.

Tell you what, I'm heading out to the Northeast Regional out in the midwest this August.   I'll keep track of what I use for the main, and side matches.   I don't think I'll get over a thousand years, as I won't be shooting old stuff in the main match, but my side match guns will get me a few hundred total. And for that matter since 4 shooters are gonna be using different guns of mine, maybe that'll push me up a little.

4 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

I think you meant 475 sec stage.:P

Meh.    I was really hoping to save the clean match and get that misfire to fire.  If it hadn't been for that, it woulda been much quicker.

And maybe wouldn'ta missed one with the second pistol either. :)

Archived