SASS Wire Forum

Any word on Clays powder?

R. R. Ranger

I know this is probably a worn out question. Used Clays for pistols in years past. Down to maybe 2 1/2 bottles left. Is this powder going to be available again or gone the way of trail boss? Next best option in powder that is available. Like my Clays load because empties just fall out of cylinders at unloading table.

Use Alliant Clay-Dot @ the same weights. It's been somewhat more available. Keep an eye on Natchez.

Yes, it's a worn out question, answered here at least 4 times since January.  This answer of "5 year lack of production" is the worst projection from Hodgdon that I have heard so far, however!  But it really makes very little sense, since no one can accurately predict the end of conflict in the Ukraine.  Previous projection said no Clays family powders for 2023.  That is more within a reasonable planning horizon.

It really means, find another powder!  Clay Dot, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, American Select, e3, 700X, all will do about the same job of making light pistol cartridges and shotshells.   And don't try to make up for it by finding Trail Boss - that also looks to be unobtainable for 2023 and 2024, at the least!

good luck, GJ

Archived