SASS Wire Forum

Who has tried this front sight mod on a SAA replica revolver?

Mysterious Stranger

16 minutes ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

I will say, as soon as I pulled the trigger, I knew in my head, "thats good".

That is called "calling your shot" and is one of the important fundamentals of successful shooting. Good job!!

5 minutes ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

As far as sights on my revolvers, Taylors, I just use a gold ink pen on the front of the blade to contrast with the rear notch. This is within the rules as I understand. Never had a comment/question on it. If I did, a towel rubbing could easily remove it.

I too would consider gold ink on the front sight ok, as the rules allow a sight made of brass, or one with a finish that looks like brass. It's the ribbing that I wonder about.

Jim G

1 hour ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

THAT's what I like to be able to see from a handgun!

But, ribbing the front sight - is that considered legal under SASS Handbook rules?

Go back and read p.34 of the SHB re "serrated"

45 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

Looks like a ramp front sight to me. I don't believe it would conform to the rules. 

It's NOT...(but ramped front sights are allowed on adjustable sight revolvers "if original to the firearm"  (SHB p.35)

K5WWxXsl.jpg

29 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

I too would consider gold ink on the front sight ok, as the rules allow a sight made of brass, or one with a finish that looks like brass. It's the ribbing that I wonder about.

Jim G

If you're using a post, why ribbing? Ribbing is used for a ramp sight to help eliminate reflections.  No reflections on a post :) Except for early AM or late PM and the sun is behind you.

27 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

I too would consider gold ink on the front sight ok, as the rules allow a sight made of brass, or one with a finish that looks like brass.

The rules specifically allow gold as a sight material, as well as painting the back of a front sight in that color.

REF: SHB p.34

52 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Go back and read p.34 of the SHB re "serrated"

It's NOT...(but ramped front sights are allowed on adjustable sight revolvers "if original to the firearm"  (SHB p.35)

K5WWxXsl.jpg

Ok, I went back to that page youreferenced, and see that it says " The back of the front sight may be serrated". So, yes, I see it IS legal. And with the correct file, it should indeed be easy to do. But then, the serrated portion will be bare metal after filing. Do you refinish the serrated portion with some easy method?

Jim G

42 minutes ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

If you're using a post, why ribbing? Ribbing is used for a ramp sight to help eliminate reflections.  No reflections on a post :) Except for early AM or late PM and the sun is behind you.

The sights on my Cimarron Model P revolvers (Original Peacemaker replicas) are NOT posts. They are a rounded blade.

Jim G

12 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Ok, I went back to that page youreferenced, and see that it says " The back of the front sight may be serrated". So, yes, I see it IS legal. And with the correct file, it should indeed be easy to do. But then, the serrated portion will be bare metal after filing. Do you refinish the serrated portion with some easy method?

It can be left as is, reblued, or finished as allowed in the previously referenced section regarding: 

If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material.

PLEASE READ the SHB for answers to these questions.

Archived