SASS Wire Forum

Powder Valley primers

Smokin Gator SASS #29736

I just got an email from powder valley.  They have Servencio? Spp for $79.99. They let me put 10 in my cart. I didn't get them, was just checking their limits. Never used them before. Just a heads up in case it hasn't already been posted 

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I just got an email from powder valley.  They have Servencio? Spp for $79.99. They let me put 10 in my cart. I didn't get them, was just checking their limits. Never used them before. Just a heads up in case it hasn't already been posted 

I have some experience with those Argentinian Servicios Adventuras SPP.  When I first started using them at monthlies I was getting about 3% failure to fire.  Then, at the suggestion of JM Brown, I began seating them using a hand primer and thereafter had no more problems.  The issue seems to be that they probably are a little shorter than Federals and so sometimes they don't get seated deep enough using a progressive press. I did compare one SA to one Federal and found the SA was 6/1000" shorter - not a scientifically valid comparison due to a sample size of only one, but I felt no need to  go any further with it because seating them firmly with a hand primer did solve the problem.  Now they all go bang.

Last week Federal small pistol were $86 at Target sports, I don't think I would take a chance on iffy primers for $7/1k.

1 hour ago, Jack Spade said:

Last week Federal small pistol were $86 at Target sports, I don't think I would take a chance on iffy primers for $7/1k.

I have no experience with these primers. The problem with a lot of the places with Federals and the other more popular primers, if available they're limiting sales to 1 or maybe 2 thousand. I was surprised that they accepted  10,000. But thst doesn't help if they're not reliable.

Target Sports had a limit of 15,000 last week.  Usually Midway has a limit of one or two as does Brownells but Natchez will usually let you get 5k.

Archived