SASS Wire Forum

Nebraska Soddy 1887

Subdeacon Joe

This is a photo of my paternal grandfather and grandmother holding their first two grandchildren (my two oldest cousins) beside their Oklahoma soddy.

Grandpa and his sister, Pearl, homesteaded the Oklahoma Territory near Buffalo, Oklahoma.  Grandpa was a widower at the time (his wife, Polly died in childbirth and baby died also).  Aunt Pearl was still single.  They built a soddy with a dog run.   Grandpa's half on his property and Aunt Pearl's half on her property.  

The circuit preacher introduced Grandma to Grandpa and they only saw each other three (3) times before they married. 

Grandma was not a physically pretty woman, but she gave Grandpa four sons and a daughter, and she worked the fields beside Grandpa.  One of the most significant things I remember about Grandma was when that woman prayed aloud, you knew she had a direct link to the Father.  She was a prayer warrior!

Grandpa farmed and raised horses.  Grandpa lost the farm during the depression.  My dad told me it was the only time he ever saw his father cry.

image.png.d7234430f3dccc36cb8db3ce5cdfb4a1.png

Archived