SASS Wire Forum

New to 12 gauge reloading

Star Shooter

Like the Mech 600 jr.  In todays world I will give general advice.  Get a manual, the lyman shot gun manual is good.  There are others out there but lyman is the one I have.  Many ranges have shot size limits, I may be wrong but believe SASS max size is 7.5  With shot the larger the number the smaller the shot so 8 is smaller than 7.5 etc.

As far as powders, look at the manual for the amount of shot you want to shoot.  7/8  oz is plenty, any more will require more shot and more powder generally as well as slower powders.  The only real benefit for more shot and more powder is more recoil for those who like to warthog loads or bruised shoulders.

AA hulls are great but in todays world what hulls you can get will be the best to use or buy a case of what ever shells you can get shoot them and then reload.

Get the appropriate wads for the hulls you will use and the shot load you will be using 7/8, 1oz 11/8 etc.

Get which ever of the powders listed in your manual that you can.  Red dot is good, Nitro 100 Solo 1000 are all fairly similar in burn rate and are on the faster side.  Other powders like Unique are fine but I have be unable to obtain unique in a couple of years.  Rumor has it Midway had unigue in the last month or so.  I did not see it when it was avail and now is not unless they got new shipments in last 72 hrs.

Get the wads that are proper for the hulls and shot charge you are using.

Getting the proper crimp on the shell that will look like a factory shell can be problematic.  Some use an over shot card to keep all the BBs in with a less than stellar crimp.  It is well worth tinkering with the crimp depth to get it as close to a factory as you can as really nice loads charmber easier.  A shotgun case guage can be quite useful to check quality of your reloads.

1 hour ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

... I may be wrong but believe SASS max size is 7.5  With shot the larger the number the smaller the shot so 8 is smaller than 7.5 etc.

SASS handbook states max size is #4.  I used to load #6 in my BP shells since we practically never see clay birds, but I switched to 7 1/2 years ago because of limitations at some specific ranges.

Archived