SASS Wire Forum

America's BrewFather

Sedalia Dave

Meet Joseph L. Owades The man that created lite beer and fathered Craft Beer brewing in America.

Joseph Owades invented light beer in the 1960s, revolutionizing the American beer industry — then in the 1980s he became an essential figure behind the craft beer phenomenon. 

<quote>

Joseph Owades invented light beer in the 1960s, revolutionizing the American beer industry, then in the 1980s became an essential figure behind the craft beer phenomenon.  (Courtesy Owades Family)

"He lived long enough to see light beer become a national phenomenon," his son Stephen Owades, an MIT-educated musician in Cambridge, Mass., told Fox News Digital in a phone interview.

For an encore in the 1980s, Owades provided his brewing expertise to a generation of young entrepreneurs eager to make small-batch American beer but lacking the expertise.

America now boasts more than 9,000 craft breweries, thanks largely to the success of Owades-aided pioneers.  

Anchor Brewing, Samuel Adams, the former Pete’s Wicked brand — each on the list of the earliest, most successful and most influential craft breweries — were among the companies that hired Owades to pair his technical precision with their passion.

<end quote>

I was never a fan of Light beer, but craft brewed beer, I truly enjoyed. 
I remember when light beer took off in California back in the mid 80’s. The only one that I liked was Amstel Light but I rarely drank it. 

Archived