SASS Wire Forum

Waxing or oiling a jacket

Whiskey Hicks

As the title implies, I got a cheap safari style canvas brush jacket by Guide Gear off of Amazon. I want to dedicate it as a range and brush jacket.

My two options seem to be to wax it with something like Otter Wax and do heat application or apply boiled linseed oil line sailors used to to make oil skin.

I’m seeing both methods have their advantages and disadvantages, but linseed oil looks like the less time-consuming for application.

Oh wisdom of the Wire, do you have any advice?

Linseed stinks. A LOT. and takes time to paint and repaint to make a proper oilcloth. 

Thompsons water seal in a pump sprayer. If it's cotton canvas wash it HOT to shrink the weave. After it's dry Hang it up outside and spray it with water seal let air dry hanging.

Used to do that with canvas tent cloth, tight dry and tight.

Or go into the camping aisle and buy a modern waterproofer in a spray can and do it the easy way.

I can’t stand the smell of waxed canvas. Someone gave me a waxed canvas jacket once. I had to give it back.
I encountered oiled canvas coats for sale at some Revolutionary War reenactment years ago and they smelled odd as well.   

I would do the same as @Texas Jokersuggested. Try waterproofing in a can. 

Edit: Bass Pro used to have a waterproofing for “Thinsolate” that I also used on a utility jacket and canvas backpack. It made the jacket and pack water resistant with 2 applications. It made the backpack almost waterproof in the rain but if I say it in water the water would get through. I used the pack when fishing from boats in Oregon. 
I couldn’t find a waterproof backpack that wasn’t cumbersome or that had pockets so I made my own. 

Linseed oilcloth takes aplication dry time and multiple layers, you are essentially applying pigmentless oil based paint to the cloth until you have a thick flexible waterproof layer. 

One set of instructions I read said to taughtly nail a piece of sailcloth to the barn wall and paint it repeatedly. IIRC process took 3 months BEFORE cutting and stitching the geatcoat started.

Archived