SASS Wire Forum

Why have I never noticed this before

Mack Hacker, #60477

Most people start “gun” life with 22 rimfires.

short , long and long rifle . Magnums don’t interchange except in the case of something like a single six . I can see why people call it long colt . 
Same thing when someone calls a magazine a clip and everyone gets their nickers in a bunch .

Yes they are both incorrect but for the most part everyone understands 

Is a tasty carbonated beverage a pop , soda or a coke ? Sometimes the English language can be confusing but we manage 

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Most people start “gun” life with 22 rimfires.

short , long and long rifle . Magnums don’t interchange except in the case of something like a single six . I can see why people call it long colt . 
Same thing when someone calls a magazine a clip and everyone gets their nickers in a bunch .

Yes they are both incorrect but for the most part everyone understands 

Is a tasty carbonated beverage a pop , soda or a coke ? Sometimes the English language can be confusing but we manage 

Actually, I started my gun life with cap guns, squirt guns and other toys.  :)   Then it was a BB gun. :) :) 

My folks, and I sorta by exposure to them, use pop.   They are from the midwest.   When I am being pedantic, I try to use the word "sodapop" as it will never confuse anyone.   When we first moved to New England, the prevailing generic term was tonic.  But that has been slowly fading away for years, and I hardly ever hear it anymore, with soda becoming the most common moniker.

Coke is a specific brand of cola, and I will NEVER use it for anything other than that.  Being a Pepsi drinker I am always careful about being specific for cola anyway, but there is NO WAY I can even contemplate calling 7 Up or Root Beer or Mountain Dew or Moxie, "Coke."

When I am visiting relatives in the Detroit area, I notice the "Vernors" is often used for a generic term for ginger ale, but not universally so.

Archived