SASS Wire Forum

Seems appropriate for the SALOON

image.thumb.png.7d376a799d1e352a823d0c342c21afdc.png

A cowboy enters the SALOON, grabs a seat, as the bartender approaches and asks, "What'll it be?"

The cowboy says, "I'll have a rye whiskey please."

The bartender gives him the drink and says, "That'll be one bit."

The cowboy responds, "What do you mean? I don't owe you anything for this."

The towns local lawyer who was sitting nearby and overheard the conversation, comments to the bartender, "You know, actually he's right. In the initial offer, which constitutes a binding contract upon acceptance, there was no stipulation of remuneration of any kind."

The bartender is clearly not impressed, but nonetheless, turns to the cowboy and says, "Okay, Slim, you beat me for a drink. But don't ever come in here again."

The next day, the same cowboy walks into the SALOON.

The bartender yells, "What are you doing in here? I told you never to come back!"

The cowboy says, "What are you talking about? I've never been in this SALOON in my life!"

The bartender, obviously embarrassed apologies, "I'm very sorry, sir, but this is remarkable. You must have a double."

To which the cowboy calmly says, "Thanks. Make it a rye whiskey."

Two problems with your story.

"What will it be" is too ambiguous. That could mean anything. The correct question is, "would you like a drink". That is an offer, for which no mention of renumeration is made.

Second problem. The price is one bit? While a quarter is called two bits, that's because originally the Spanish dollar was cut into eight pieces, called a bit, each one being worth 12 and a half cents. I have not heard of a piece of a coin being accepted is money since the 1700s.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Two problems with your story.

"What will it be" is too ambiguous. That could mean anything. The correct question is, "would you like a drink". That is an offer, for which no mention of renumeration is made.

Second problem. The price is one bit? While a quarter is called two bits, that's because originally the Spanish dollar was cut into eight pieces, called a bit, each one being worth 12 and a half cents. I have not heard of a piece of a coin being accepted is money since the 1700s.

2020_12_04_07_53_54.jpg.db548baad181857a3e445c298497e980.jpg

Archived