SASS Wire Forum

Which bullet mold?

phc

I just acquired a C. sharps model 74 chambered for 45-70.  I understand it has a Badger barrel and was wondering if any of you might recommend a particular bullet mold and size lube die for the best accuracy.  I have a couple of molds already but they are flat nosed and don't seem to be very accurate out of my gun.  I supposed I could do a casting to get the exact dimensions of the bore and chamber but I really don't want to.

Only way you will know what diameter cast bullet to use is by slugging the bore.

What distances are you currently shooting? What bullet and powder are you using? Just about any 45-70 is capable of MOA accuracy if the shooter does their part. Big flat nose bullets that travel at subsonic speeds are capable of being every bit as accurate and pointed ones.

For accuracy, bullets that weigh less than 405 grain almost always don't cut it.

Every long range shooter out there casts their own bullets. Commercially cast bullets are not consistent enough for serious long range shooting. The shooter I was learning from only used bullets that were within a tenth of a grain of his target weight. All others were remelted.

Serious long range shooters are methodical in their reloading to the point that they appear to be suffering OCD.

The sights on the gun also have to be up to the task. MVA, Lee-Shaver, and Kelley are a few of the better sight makers out there.

If you are serious about long range you need to find a mentor that can teach you the finer points of long range shooting.

27 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Serious long range shooters are methodical in their reloading to the point that they appear to be suffering OCD.

“Appear”??? :P

Archived