SASS Wire Forum

Lost the name...

What price glory is one.

I prefer At the Front

Run by a great guy and extremely authentic. 

Now I'm gonna be the king of the mild frontier.  I just ordered a pair of 1931 lace up cavalry boots from WPG.  The reason?  I have a picture of my dad wearing those boots, and a military style work shirt with a necktie, and a fedora.

He's has one foot on the left running board of what I have been told was a late '20s vintage Apperson (SP?) Jackrabbit roadster and is holding his Model 8 Remington carbine butt down and muzzle up next to his foot.  He also has on some light colored round lens metal frame glasses that I'm tying to find.  That will give me everything but the car to complete the look.  B&W pictures don't show the colors, so I'm guessing.

At the time, about 1964 -1935 he was working for the State of Oregon doing a river and lakes survey and saving his money to get married and finish college.   The picture was taken by Dad's friend Clare "Rastus" Fleetwood.   

He and Mom were on their honeymoon in 1938 when Orson Welles scared the bejabbers out of the entire nation after having graduated from USAC (Now USU)

2 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Now I'm gonna be the king of the mild frontier.  I just ordered a pair of 1931 lace up cavalry boots from WPG.  The reason?  I have a picture of my dad wearing those boots, and a military style work shirt with a necktie, and a fedora.

He's has one foot on the left running board of what I have been told was a late '20s vintage Apperson (SP?) Jackrabbit roadster and is holding his Model 8 Remington carbine butt down and muzzle up next to his foot.  He also has on some light colored round lens metal frame glasses that I'm tying to find.  That will give me everything but the car to complete the look.  B&W pictures don't show the colors, so I'm guessing.

At the time, about 1964 -1935 he was working for the State of Oregon doing a river and lakes survey and saving his money to get married and finish college.   The picture was taken by Dad's friend Clare "Rastus" Fleetwood.   

He and Mom were on their honeymoon in 1938 when Orson Welles scared the bejabbers out of the entire nation after having graduated from USAC (Now USU)

They make good snake boots too.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They make good snake boots too.

Snakes? In Arizona?  C'mon!!!!

Someone told me when I moved here that of the 23 varieties of poisonous snakes in the US, 17 are found within ten miles of here.  I never checked to see it it's true, but there are a bunch ot poisonous snakes hereabouts.

Now, I've never seen any since we moved here, but I haven't been looking, either.  Got bitten by diamond backs twice in Utah where I grew up.  Probably two different snakes, and neither bite was fatal....well maybe for the snakes.  One never got any venom into me but I found the marks where he hit my boot.

Most kinds of poisonous snakes I ever saw were around the Parris Island area.

I'm a great proponent of good boots unless I'm swimming in deep water.

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Snakes? In Arizona?  C'mon!!!!

Someone told me when I moved here that of the 23 varieties of poisonous snakes in the US, 17 are found within ten miles of here.  I never checked to see it it's true, but there are a bunch ot poisonous snakes hereabouts.

Now, I've never seen any since we moved here, but I haven't been looking, either.  Got bitten by diamond backs twice in Utah where I grew up.  Probably two different snakes, and neither bite was fatal....well maybe for the snakes.  One never got any venom into me but I found the marks where he hit my boot.

Most kinds of poisonous snakes I ever saw were around the Parris Island area.

I'm a great proponent of good boots unless I'm swimming in deep water.

I have a pair of WWi Officers boots but they're too long in the tooth for wear now. I did get a pair of repro WWII brown jump boots from At The Front. Kind of a pita to put on and take off but a lot better ankle support than western boots.:D

Archived