SASS Wire Forum

Portland Area '73/'66 Smith: Need Recommendation

Palouse

Need recomendation for gunsmith doing good repair work on Uberti 1866.  Broken screw removed/replaced, and general clean & debur of new carbine.

Currently located in south Portland.   ...edit...

...front barrel band screw...

Thank you for your help.

Pioneer Gun Works (PGW) is there in Springfield. You can gooble it or whatever.

Ask for Joe. He's done a few things for me and done it well.

There's another good one in Tigard but can't remember the name. You could probably call Ted Bolockers and get the name, they know him well

Shoot Boothill Bandit a PM on here. He's in your area, and if he can't help you he can send you to someone who can.

Thank you to those that replied.  PGW website says, "no repairs", on non-PGW gear. Makes sense.

It would not be the way of the Dark Side to do it the easy/smart way, so I fixed it myself, and continue to clean/debur it myself.

I used Steel JB Weld, and smooshed it into the screw hole until it oozed-out around barrel and mag tube. I used a sewing needle to dig a "screw slot" into "head" of the soft JB Weld. That didn't look good, so I changed it to a Smiley Face, and when dry, hit it with a Sharpie to darken. Other end of hole still has broken stub peaking out, so looks normal. Good as new, and my carbine will always make me feel happy.

Archived