SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lead Lung

Navy Arms 1873 Carbine Capacity

Hey Everyone,

Im new to cowboy action shooting. Im currently running a 1892 in 44-40wcf, but have purchased a Navy Arms 1873 carbine, made by uberti,  in 44-40. My issue is that the 73' has a 19'' barrel and a capacity of 9 rounds. I looked around at other carbine 73's that state a 10 round capacity. Im just curious if anyone knows why this one is restricted to 9 or if there are options to make it 10 rounds? Thanks

Have you tried 10 rounds? Will they just not go? I have an 18 1/2” barrel 1873 and 10 will go in fine. 1.580 oal x 10 = 15.8” unscrew the end cap on the mag tube and make sure there isn’t some kind of plug. Maybe cut a few coils off the spring if it’s overly long. 

Oh and welcome to the best game there is.

What Tyrel said and also I think they state 9 rounds but they really take 10. It might be a safety/lawyer thing! 

All Uberti 19" ('66 or '73) carbines will hold 10 rounds of .357, .38-40, .44-40, .44 mag, or .45 Colt.  If it doesn't, probably has the wrong mag spring installed.

Thanks guys. The firearm was used when i got it. Never thought of checking the mag tube spring. Its was way too long, possibly for a 24" barrel.  I trimmed it and now it works. Thanks again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.