SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Short Rifle In 44wcf

Ace Hanlon

I can't seem to get the rifle working right.  Has a gen 3 short stroke with a aluminum carrier.  Timing seems to be correct as the lower tab is missing the cartridge rim when new round is being loaded.  The problem is the spent cartridge is being extracted fine but the cartridge rim of the spent casing is getting caught under the nose of the extractor nose when the carrier is coming up to eject the spent cartridge.  Any suggestions?

Yep, two different threads in the last week have covered some of the solutions.  Most likely, it's still out of time - with the bolt face receding into the frame before the carrier rises to eject the fired round.  That is a "slow rise" timing problem. 

What you checked for is a "too early rise" timing problem.  That is half the check you have to do!

Good luck, GJ

24 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yep, two different threads in the last week have covered some of the solutions.  Most likely, it's still out of time - with the bolt face receding into the frame before the carrier rises to eject the fired round.  That is a "slow rise" timing problem. 

What you checked for is a "too early rise" timing problem.  That is half the check you have to do!

Good luck, GJ

Joe I understand what you are saying about a carrier slow rise timing but I'm not sure how to correct the problem.  Would adding material to the top of the lifter arm be a fix?

22 minutes ago, Ace Hanlon said:

Joe I understand what you are saying about a carrier slow rise timing but I'm not sure how to correct the problem.  Would adding material to the top of the lifter arm be a fix?

No, removing material from the carrier lifter arm that contacts the lever will retard the carrier.

40 minutes ago, Ace Hanlon said:

I understand what you are saying about a carrier slow rise timing but I'm not sure how to correct the problem.  Would adding material to the top of the lifter arm be a fix?

Yes, adding to the lifter elevating pad (the one you can see looking up past the lever into receiver) would correct a slow rise.

But since you recently installed the short stroke and ALUMINUM CARRIER, the hang up could well be the same as the one Chicken George wrote about a week ago, which is that the lower shelf on the top lips of the carrier was not beveled to let the rim have enough room to swivel out from under the extractor. 

Several of my 73s are timed so that the ejection contact (the higher top shelf of the carrier lips) didn't contact the fired case until the bolt is inside the frame and just about stopped in it's rearward travel.  They eject well.  

So, FIRST THING, is take a look at pictures on previous Chicken George thread

Here:

and see if your carrier needs a "little relief"  - as Jerry Clower used to say.    There are known to be some versions of the aluminum carrier that are grabbing the rim because they are not beveled to let the rim swivel properly.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks to all to posted in this thread and the Chicken George post.  A special thanks to Garrison Joe for pointing out my timing was not completely done until the carrier timing was addressed.  I have modified my carrier so there is space for the cartridge rim to drop and roll away from the extractor nose.  All is good now

Archived