SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter -Confessions of a Double Cocker

TN Mongo, SASS #61450

Jackalope (one of my Jedi spiritual guides) is threatening an intervention after I fell off the wagon this weekend at Ambush.  I had two pistol misses and no "Ps" after 10 stages while "double cocking". 

After weeks of dry firing alternate cocking, I have tried for two monthly matches to stay on the "straight and narrow", but I had multiple misses and much slower pistol strings.  Alternate cocking continues to feel weird and slow.  At Ambush, I tried to just think of the number of rounds on each target and nothing else.  Whatever came out of the pistols just happened.  Apparently there was a lot of double cocking happening and more than a few lead changes.   

Ironically, my biggest problem at Ambush involved sticky shotgun hulls in my SKB.  My new and improved hull shucking technique was an abysmal failure and cost me tons of time the first day.

I will endeavor to continue to dry firing using alternate cocking, but I'm feeling more confident, when shooting pistols, just thinking about the number of rounds that need to go on each target and nothing else.  If that's alternate cocking or double cocking, we'll just have to wait and see.

Last weekend I held a Gunfighter friendly match at my club and shot GF out of curiosity and had a blast. I double cocked while holding low then came back up on target to shoot. It amazed me at how hard it is, with the extra target thought process that's needed. Still, a lot of fun, not sure I'll do it again unless I try FC-GF!

If double cocking works for you then that's what you should be doing.   

The best thing any shooter can do is find out what they can do well and practice it until you do it without thinking.   Once that beep goes off it needs to be on auto pilot. 

Archived