SASS Wire Forum

***SPF***Bowie knife

This knife was an early acquisition when I first started shooting cowboy matches.  I have since acquired........... oh, let's just say a "fair number" of other knives as well, and this one just doesn't get put on the belt anymore.  So, it might as well have a new home.  The knife is made of very heavy, thick steel; 14" overall and has a blade length of 8 3/4" with a full tang and a "false edge" that extends 5 1/4" down the back of the blade.  I've seen this bowie design referred to as a "natchez bowie", but I don't know if that's a universally-used term or not. As can be seen in the pictures, there is a fair amount of discoloration on the blade surfaces. 

I don't know what kind of wood was used for the handle, but it does have a brass cross guard and appears to be very well made but there are no markings of any kind to suggest a maker.  The sheath will fit a belt width up to 3" and is in pretty good shape but does have a few places where the lacing is broken, as can be seen in one of the photos, but the edges have been glued as well so the sheath is in no danger of coming apart.  $60 shipped should be a fair price. 

DSCF0227.JPG

DSCF0228.JPG

DSCF0230.JPG

DSCF0231.JPG

Archived