SASS Wire Forum

New Uberti "safety hammers"

German Jim

Looked at a couple of videos on the safety hammers that have started to be installed on the 1873 revolvers.  To me, they don't appear to take away the exterior looks of the the originals, but I'm wondering.  Could that hammer be replaced with an original type hammer?  I know the trigger would also have to be replaced as there is some sort of linkage to activate the firing pin.  I was just thinking if it was a simple replacement of parts or if there was a lot more involved.  Just a question for anyone who may have looked inside.

Personally I like the new hammers.  They do the same job as a transfer bar in a Ruger.  I know we only load 5 in CAS but this would give someone the option of loading 6 if they wanted too for some other sport or for caring a side arm when hunting.  They would also be good for Cowboy Reenacting because when the firearm allows it we can load 6 blanks in the gun and would not have to worry about it going off if dropped.  The only down side I can see is that there is now something more to go wrong with the gun because it now has more moving parts.

In previous threads, there were a number of people badmouthing them without ever having laid eyes on one and without ever having read any reports of reliability.  If I recall correctly, Ruger started using their transfer bar back in the 70's and that hasn't slowed sales down a bit.

I do hope that they have a proper half-cock or at least when the gate is opened, the cylinder lines up properly with the gate.  That was the one thing that really annoyed me about my Rugers. 

Archived