SASS Wire Forum

Man, I feel GREAT!

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

We were on the way home after the side matches at Trailhead today and I realized I haven't felt this good in a long time.

We went to Bayou Blast 2 weekends and had a great time, as usual. I shot my new pistols(thanks Slick McClade) very fast and did very well. Won my category and finished 10th overall. First time for both there. I was just hoping to make it into TEENS! And then there was Crosscut Hardy. Loaned me his pocket pistol when my new one wouldn't shoot. And I beat him and won the side match. What a guy! But don't we expect that sort of thing from our compatriots?

And then Trailhead. Great weather when thunderstorms had been threatening. Good, straightforward stages, though not rifle targets you can reach out and tap with with your muzzle. Well, maybe you could at stage 2, but it's the exception. 

I shot well, though not particularly fast. For some reason I had bad jitters before shooting. First time in years. So, I had to slow down a bit and be a little more focused on hitting the targets, rather than missing them real fast.(Which I can do) Still turned out OK. 1st in my category, 8th overall. Not bad, since I know I can't beat shooters like Copperhead James, Logan Sackett, Picosa Kid, Verdadero Dan,and the like.

Anyway, I managed to clean the match, at least. It is one of my goals. And not a mean feat at Trailhead. I was one of 5 this year. But I wasn't worried TOO much about the time on the last stage. Just didn't want to blow a clean match on the last stage.(I have, and it sucks)

I was dissappointed my wife didn't clean it too. She ended up with one miss.(And for some reason, no buy a miss this year) I THINK we would have been the first couple to ever clean it. Oh well. Maybe next year. 

At the banquet last night when they got to the the top lady shooter, it was my wife, Angels. Wow , were we surprised! There were a lot of other good women shooters there. She thought she had missed her chance with the miss and a procedural. But, you just never know. 

Their award to the 2 top guns were a gorgeous pair of spurs. Black leather with a lot of silver. Just beautiful. And get this: she gave them to ME! Said that was why she wanted to be top lady shooter. Take a look at them  at the bottom of this post. (sorry we aren't too tech savvy to do better)

She said she wasn't going to wear them and she'd rather I did, instead of just hanging on her wall. 

Wow, what a wife. 

Didn't win anything at the raffle except a couple of gunsleeves that a gave a friend, but was still on cloud 9 when we left the banquet. 

Guess it carried over to today. Didn't win anything at todays side matches (although close), but drove home feeling better than I have in a long time. There's nothing like having a great time to make you want to do more. We talked about going next year to a club we haven't been to in 14 years. Or to a match next month I swore we wouldn't go to. 

Oh, and it wasn't just the shooting. The people were great. Talking to old friends, making new ones, etc. I'm not the social creature my wife is. My focus is primarily on shooting. And yet some of my best memories are social. One year a bunch of us got together at Schobels after the match at Trailhead and had dinner, talked, and swapped stories for hours. THAT, is my favorite memory from a shoot, not the shooting itself.

Anyway, I don't know if i can pin it on any one reason, but damn, I feel good!

IMG_3070.JPG

Trailhead was a good match. The side matches Sunday were a blast. the team and couple shoot were a lot of fun and I REALLY LIKED THE MASTER GUNFIGHTER SIDEMATCH :)!

The social aspects of CAS are nearly as important as the shooting. I've met more fine folks shooting CAS than any other activity I've ever been involved in.  Looking forward to seeing a bunch of old friends, and making a few new ones at Comancheria Days/Texas State in 2 weeks.

Hey, I bet you did like MG, Hoss!

Unfortunately not this year, Logan. Cathys top 10 weekend is that weekend, and I rarely go to these things alone. Maybe next year. But it's always a pleasure shootin' agin ya. You give me something to strive for.(In case anyone don't know, I'm the SLOW Sackett in the family)

Archived