SASS Wire Forum

Sherlock Holmes and back yard gunsmithing

quote.gif modify.gif delete.gif

Lately my Spencer carbine (Taylor and Co repro in 45 Colt) has been acting up. In two matches lately in locked up and would not feed costing me multiple misses. When I tried later, no problem. Figuring it might be dirty I took it apart today for a really thorough cleaning and discovered some broken parts and a missing spring. The spring fits at the front of the firing pin and pushes it back after firing. What was happening was the firing pin protrusion would not all the block to slide past the cartridge and lock up. It was about the right size so I took a chance, took apart a ball point pen, trimmed the spring and fitted it in place. BINGO! Working Spencer. I also called Taylors and ordered replacements for the broken parts and a new spring. I'm not a gunsmith but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express lately...

When I was a lad, one of the local small town cops had a Victory model S&W in .38 S&W.

It required a new main spring.

He went to his local gun smith who quoted him a price for the part.

The cop was severely underpaid (common for that era) so he declined the repair and made his own replacement main spring.

He used the blade of a table knife.

(This is most certainly not a recommendation, it's just anecdotal ... whether this or the ball point pen spring, there's nothing wrong with a field expedient repair until you can get the right part! Kind of like Hen Shriver when he instructed Brother Beymer on equipment repairs afield:

"If it breaks down, tie it together with hay string til you can get it back to the barn, where you kin fix it right.

"With waaaahhhr."

(You have to drawl "wire" out properly to get a good Hen Shriver imitation!)

Archived