SASS Wire Forum

California State Championship at 5 Dogs. A tip of the hat!

I wish to the hard working folks who put together the SASS California State Championships!

Lots to do to warm up - plenty of fun side matches, on Thursday.

As a shooter - I'm impressed by the consistent improvements 5 Dogs have made to the main match. There was never more than one trick per stage, the targets were reasonable, with a hint of challenge - (except those damned dogs - grrr... ;-) ) and the Shoot-off and couples event were a hoot.

Sadly, this is their last year hosting the event - for now - but I have watched it steadily improve, and wish to give them credit for all their hard work.

Cheers, and very best wishes to all at 5 Dogs,

Frederick Jackson Turner

P.s; a nice performance by Waterloo and Hey You, taking the top overall spots. And great work by Scirocco - with less that 6 months of learning to use firearms, winning Cowgirl State honors, and making it to the Sweet 16 Shoot-off!

I agree with Fredrick Jackson Turner that it was a great shoot and that all their work really paid off.

I've been going to this shoot for maybe as long as they've been doing it and I want to thank them for all the years of great shoots. I wish 5 Dogs the best for the future.

Also Congrats to the Overall California State Champions: Long Swede and Bonnie MacFarlane.

-tex fiddler

I'll echo the well-put comments above, and add the following......

Often when an organization knows they are 'ending an era' and putting on their 'swan song' performance, there can be a tendency to slack off or cut corners, knowing there won't be a next time. This was certainly NOT in evidence at this year's event.

We did notice some new faces doing some of the chores, as several of the regulars have moved away, but the dedication to making this one

of the premier shoots was evident in all aspects.

Utah Blaine was a gracious (and hard working) Mayor, and Bo Bean could be seen nearly everywhere his golf cart could take him. Mad

Trapper of Rat River and Wandering Rose were all over, and seemingly doing everything..... I know there were many more (like the guy playing Gunga Din and hauling water and ice for the many ice chests) who I am leaving out, but it's only because I don't know their names.

We greatly appreciate all their hard work.

And for those wanting something other than 'Stand and Deliver' and 'Up Close and Personal', there was good variety in target placing,

spacing and size. Actually needed to use that odd bump on the end of the rifle barrel..... Enjoyed the two stages with 6+ shotgun

targets, and stage 12 with shooter's choice for position and order of gun use (affected by the 'obstacle no-shoots' strategically

placed).

Looking forward to the 5 Dogs Creek ANNUAL MATCH for 2016!

How cool is it that the California State Men's Champion is a Senior; and the Woman's Champion is a Junior?

Long Swede, and Bonnie McFarlane...

Good going, both of you!

Cheers,

FJT

thanks guys, I would like to thank Panhandle Red and his wife Calico Blue, he is a 2 month shooter and took a week off work to work at the range. new to club and deadicated.

Great Job to all the folks at 5-Dogs. You have never failed to raise to the occasion and do a great job.

Snakebite

Archived