SASS Wire Forum

Marlin question - Plunger on carrier....

I am trying to install a replacement plunger and spring on the carrier for my Marlin.....

I have a question.....

I have two carriers, on one when I press the plunger it goes flush with the carrier metal.

On the new replacmeent one the plungeer DOES NOT push in enough to go flush?

Does the plunger have to go FLUSH?

If so, where do I work it to get it to go flush? Never done this type of repair before so I am in the dark here.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

I have a call in to him now.....

Just trying to get it done today, guess that an't gonna happen.

:unsure:

JJJ-D

Here are the phone #s I have for him.

"Free to talk most of the time during the day so feel free to call me at:

My home number is: 865 / 984-4455 in the evenings.

I live in E. TN so I'm in the East Time Zone."

hope this helps

JJJ:

its about 7:30 eastern time now and I'm home for the evening.

give me a call: 865 / 984-4455

I can help you get it correctly set.

I hope those other parts I set up for you are working good. Let me know.

..........Widder

JJJ:

its about 7:30 eastern time now and I'm home for the evening.

give me a call: 865 / 984-4455

I can help you get it correctly set.

I hope those other parts I set up for you are working good. Let me know.

..........Widder

I was out and got home late.....

Will try tomorrow mid day about...

Everything else looks good, was gonna try it with the new carrier....

JJJ-D

JJJ:

I'll try to type this out in case you don't reach me on Saturday.

Slater, my shooting pard, lost his Mom this week and the Memorial Services are this afternoon. PLUS, later in the day, I'm taking my Mom out for her Bday and then hanging around her house for awhile.

Here are a couple numbers where I might be reached and please feel free to all me.

865 / 724-8646. This is my wifes cell # and you should be able to reach me anytime after 2:00, Eastern Standard Time.

865 / 531-4548 (if you call this number, you will need to ask for ...Mike)

Anyhow, here's some info:

YES, when compressed, that plunger stud should recess into the carrier and become flush with the carrier.

There are a couple ways to accomplish this.

1st: you want to make sure the spring is not tooooo long and causing the plunger stud from having proper space to compress. BUT, you DO NOT want too little of a spring either. A weak spring will give you some bad MoJo in your carrier rising properly during cycling your action.

Now, if you are sure that the 'short side' of the plunger stud is the problem, here is a VERY GOOD method to correct it.

If you have a good caliper, measure the height of the tip you want to trim down. And decide just how much you think it needs to be lowered.

Chuck the long shaft of the stud into your Dremel. Get you some pieces of sand paper, roughly in the 240, 600 and maybe even 1000 (or higher) grit.

Using your Dremel, low or high speed, place the tip of that plunger stud directly on the 240 paper for just a second. This short amount of contact between the plunger stud and sand paper should prevent the stud from getting hot.

Then measure your new height.

Do this until you think you are close to your desired height. When you get close, stop using the 240 and start using the 600.

Now, with the 600, you may want to 'kiss' the tip of the plunger stud on it, but the beauty of having it chucked in a Dremel is that you can slightly put a VERY NICE bevel on its edge. With it being in the Dremel, it makes the bevel perfectly concentric all around the tip of the stud.

THEN, using the 1000 or finer grit, you can put a final polish on it just by lightly touching the spinning plunger stud to the 1000 grit.

This process will not only help you lower the height enough for it to recess and become flush with the carrier when it is compressed, but it will insure you don't have a sharp edge on the tip of it and also make it smooth.

Hope this info helps.

And don't hesitate to call if you want.

..........Widder

JJJ:

I'll try to type this out in case you don't reach me on Saturday.

Slater, my shooting pard, lost his Mom this week and the Memorial Services are this afternoon. PLUS, later in the day, I'm taking my Mom out for her Bday and then hanging around her house for awhile.

Here are a couple numbers where I might be reached and please feel free to all me.

865 / 724-8646. This is my wifes cell # and you should be able to reach me anytime after 2:00, Eastern Standard Time.

865 / 531-4548 (if you call this number, you will need to ask for ...Mike)

Anyhow, here's some info:

YES, when compressed, that plunger stud should recess into the carrier and become flush with the carrier.

There are a couple ways to accomplish this.

1st: you want to make sure the spring is not tooooo long and causing the plunger stud from having proper space to compress. BUT, you DO NOT want too little of a spring either. A weak spring will give you some bad MoJo in your carrier rising properly during cycling your action.

Now, if you are sure that the 'short side' of the plunger stud is the problem, here is a VERY GOOD method to correct it.

If you have a good caliper, measure the height of the tip you want to trim down. And decide just how much you think it needs to be lowered.

Chuck the long shaft of the stud into your Dremel. Get you some pieces of sand paper, roughly in the 240, 600 and maybe even 1000 (or higher) grit.

Using your Dremel, low or high speed, place the tip of that plunger stud directly on the 240 paper for just a second. This short amount of contact between the plunger stud and sand paper should prevent the stud from getting hot.

Then measure your new height.

Do this until you think you are close to your desired height. When you get close, stop using the 240 and start using the 600.

Now, with the 600, you may want to 'kiss' the tip of the plunger stud on it, but the beauty of having it chucked in a Dremel is that you can slightly put a VERY NICE bevel on its edge. With it being in the Dremel, it makes the bevel perfectly concentric all around the tip of the stud.

THEN, using the 1000 or finer grit, you can put a final polish on it just by lightly touching the spinning plunger stud to the 1000 grit.

This process will not only help you lower the height enough for it to recess and become flush with the carrier when it is compressed, but it will insure you don't have a sharp edge on the tip of it and also make it smooth.

Hope this info helps.

And don't hesitate to call if you want.

..........Widder

Prayers out to you and yours....

I started comparing the new parts to the old parts and discovered the springs length differences. I checked several from other carriers I had and the one from the reworked carrier. The old spring was really short! The new springs were longer than the one in a factory carrier so I will try one of the already fitted springs first from another carrier before I try to trim the new spring. I will polish the new plunger as you described as well.

Good thing I have the dreaded dremel tool!

JJJ-D

Archived