SASS Wire Forum

Highwall Questions

SaukValley Sam, SASS # 66557

:FlagAm: Just picked up my new Uberti highwall in 38 55. Instruction manual that came with it only has safety instructions and parts break down, no service info. I am wondering about the buckhorn sight adjustment settings. There are five steps on the vertical slide adjustment (including the base level). Is there any suggested range increase for each step? For example, if dead on at 25 yards at base level would next step be approximately 50 yards? Also, I ordered and waited for a double set trigger. The small adjustment screw extends down between the triggers. What change to the trigger pull does a clockwise turn make? Increase or decrease? And finally is there a specific tool to turn the screw? I tried finger pressure grip just to see and screw does not budge. Dry firing the trigger feels right but would like to know if I ever want to adjust. I have some commercial loads to break in rifle and then will start working up a load for cowboy long distance. Hope to sight it in this weekend if the rain holds off. However San Antonio area is in a drought and we need rain more than I need to shoot. Thanks.

SaukValley Sam

Howdy, always wanted to add a highwall to my buffalo rifle collection but I'm wanting one in 45-110 or 50-90. To answer your question on the rear sight that is going to depend on the load your shooting as to what kind of difference each step of elevation used will effect bullet impact. If you really want to make small precise adjustments I would recommend a tang sight or a veneer type. I know I'm real good at spending other peoples money ain't I? The set trigger screw usually requires a small blade type screwdriver, you don't want that screw finger loose cause recoil would keep changing the setting on you. If the trigger is releasing at a setting you like I would just leave it alone. By the way screwing that small screw in set the trigger poundage higher but be careful not yo back it out too far. All adjustments should be done in very small increments with you trying it in between. You can set the triggers at home WITH NO AMMO IN RIFLE of course. The neighbors get annoyed when you shoot holes in their houses. :):)

:FlagAm: Thanks for all the responses, they support what i suspected. Abanaki, I shot a friend's 45 70 Sharps and it was a little too much recoil for me, even in that heavy rifle. I'm hoping the 38 55 will be better and more enjoyable. I am looking just to use for cowboy long distance out to around 300 yards. Been looking at veneer sights on line and just want to get feel for rifle before I decide. I have tang mounted peep sight on my Marlin Cowboy Special and use it in SASS matches with no problems. I anyone gets a new Uberti they should be sure to clean it well before first time shooting. It took me three full cycles of cleaning with many patches and brass brush to get the barrel free of grease.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow on. Tried adjustment screw to both extremes. Only change I can feel or detect is that at the extremes in or out the back trigger will not engage at all even though the hammer will go to full cock. At all other positions in between there is no noticeable change in the front set trigger pull, at least detectable by feel. The set trigger is always in the order of a few ounces, once you can feel the trigger on you finger, release is just a hair breath more pressure. Is this what I should expect from a set trigger? Also, checking other on line resources, this gun will not fire from front trigger unless rear trigger is set. Apparently some double set will fire from an unset front trigger, abet at a much higher pull.

Original Winchester rear sight:

* for pistol-chambered rifles like the 1873 and 1892: bottom notch on the riser, adjust the sliding sight plate so that the bullet impacts POA at 25 yards, each notch is an additional 25 yards

* for rifle-chamber rifles like the 1886, 1894 and 1885: bottom notch on the riser, adjust the sliding sight plate so that the bullet impacts POA at 50 yards, each notch is 50 yards

* the notches are graduated meaning that they get progressively taller higher on the riser

Most currently made guns have notches that are not graduated. They simply raise the rear sight the same amount for each notch. If this is yours, you get to spend some quality time at the range figuring out what works best for your rifle, loads and distances. Your other option is to do like the NRA-BPCR guys and have different loads for different ranges.

Archived