SASS Wire Forum

Shooting a 38 55 at 1000 yards

Sage Creek Gus  SASS #64320

I was over at the family homestead in north central Montana in middle August with a friend doing some long range shooting at my full size steel buffalo at 1000 yards.

Here is a link to a youtube video. The original video was shorten from sixteen minutes to about six minutes by removing the time between shots.

There was very little wind that day which is unusual for over there so It was a good chance to see how it would go. This was as much a chance to try out my video spotting system as anything. I have a set up where I can video the target area and immediately watch the results on a laptop computer. I later discovered I didn't have the camera at it's highest possible magnification. It was at 24 magnification rather than 32.

http://www.bigforkbuscaderos.com/homesteadbuffaloaug2014.html

There's more information on the website.

Several friends and I have a week long informal shooting session over there the end of September. There are six steel targets from 340 to 1000 yards. We also set up other targets and do other types of shooting. The homestead is 37 miles north of Chester, MT, the nearest town, by gravel road. We camp, shoot, and have a great time.

This year I'm putting up a 8 ft x 8 ft plywood target frame at 750 yards so we can shoot groups at that range.

Sage Creek Gus

Awesome! I've done my browning 45-70 sat a 1000 but not a 38-55, ye done good. We use a strobe light with a vibration sensor stuck to target easy to tell hits. Ain't nuttin like havin open land to shoot on. COOL

RRR

There was a fellow on another cowboy site a few years back that reported heavily on using a Marlin CB 38-55 for long range....had a lot of good info on loads. Unfortunately I think the site went down and all that was lost. If I'm mistaken and its still accesible sure would like to know about it.

Archived