SASS Wire Forum

Looking for an excellent smith to re-barrel a rifle

Jackson Haller

Johnson, when I see a post like yours - willies go up the spine in my back ...

I too posted 'looking for a good gunsmith' on a NJ firearms forum. 4 or 5 replies came back - XYZ, he walked on water. So I called and took 24 long arms plus 5 barrels to him. In a period of 13 months, I heard every excuse why the guns & barrels weren't finished. The last due date was this March, month end.

In the meantime I started asking around for another smith and the work quality the smith did and in what time frame ... back to XYZ:

I called him 1 week before the end of March - "How many are done? - NONE ... ZYX, see you this Friday because were finished doing business together"

From the 1st week of April, the new gunsmith has repaired my complete gun collection that was under water from Super Storm Sandy. I pick up the last rifle I had him reline in the morning. Overall, the quality of the new smith's work is SUPER and reasonable prices, plus the nicest man one would want to meet

Morale of this post ... It pays to shop around and talk to those that had work done by any XYZ smith

Good Luck and Hope You Find a SMITH like I did

Hi all,

Slim, I know of Bentwood; they did some work on a SXS for us; did a decent job in a decent amount of time. I know New Frontier as well; if it was a black plastic rifle, they'd be up on my list, but as it is, I may chat with him and see what he knows about levers, first.

John Boy, I know where you're coming from and also know the pitfalls of 'gunsmiths'; I, too, have had some very poor experiences with both obscure ones and also some very well known ones, so I will take this very slowly.

Archived