SASS Wire Forum

Hornady bullet feed die

diablo slim

Well Midway sent me a 38/357 bullet feed die for my Lock and Load press.

I wanted to run my powder coated 90 grain pills through it but was not

having much luck...soooooo I called Hornady's hot line and the young man on the other end of the line said they were only good about 50% of the time with jacketed

bullets.He didnt think I could make it work at all with cast lead.Not to be beat

out of my hard earned money I polished the inside of the collets till my bullets

will now drop out.Since I was on a roll I tackled the primer system and got it

working properly also... Any body ever tried a bullet feed die on their LAL press?

There were several shorts on Youtube concerning this and supposedly how to make the Hornady LNL work with lead bullets. Got where I spend more time on Youtube than watching the tv. I just wish more of you guys would post more good cowboy stuff!!!! YES, I am talking to you Lassiter.

I saw the videos on how to modify the bullet dies and I was tempted when Midway had them on clearance, but since I run a lockout die in one if my stations, the only way to make room is to expand my cases with a PTX. I tried that before and did not like the way it worked with .38s.

I am not crazy about Hornadys PTX system when it comes to lead bullets. They are so concerned about increasing case mouth life that they do not consider that to little flare will destroy the brass first time anyway! When possible I actually use the next size up to fix this, .357 works great for 9mm BUT, there is not one size up for the actual .357. I know they offer the PTX expanders in lead bullet size but I find this to be very snug also. I want a die that has a bell shape and good adjustability, let the actual driver be in control, not the designer.

It is my understanding that Hornady now has an electronic powder monitor but once again missed the ball, even with such a sophisticated system as their new one. I am seeing complaints that the monitor only notifies you if the load is full load or empty and nothing in between? Perhaps I should just consider the RCBS lockout die? Has anyone used the lockout die with bp loads? I consider the COP dies to be useless for bp.

Archived