SASS Wire Forum

97 heat shield

Coyote Kincaid

I've got an itch to put a heat shield on a 97. I've looked at the WB handbook and it says military shotguns are legal but it doesn't specifically say anything about a heat shield. It also says at the bottom that anything not specified is illegal. This will be for WB use only.

So what's the call?

Items of advice for you if you are converting a regular 97 to a trench gun configuration with heat shield.

1. DON'T cut your barrel until after all of the fitting is complete and then make it about one half inch longer than the end of the installed heat shield.

2. When you buy a heat shield be aware that they were/are made for different brands of shotguns, ie Winchester and Remington, and the barrels are not the same diameter on them. Therefore, a heat shield made to fit a Remington barrel will not fit a Winchester barrel.

3. Be extremely careful cutting the notches under the barrel for the heat shield to attach. This is not where you want to hear someone say "oops".

Otherwise, have at it and have fun converting it.

I dont think any heat shield will work for converting it to a trench gun. Before any thing is dome i would contact the wbas mods committe and see what they say. Its possible to take a cowboy 97 and turn it into a trench gun for wbas but it needs to use the right parts. I have/had a 97 heat shield from a 97 but iirc it was a clone one and would not work on either of my original take downs. So i gave up on it dont recall where the heat shiel ended up.

Might be cheaper to find a trench gun at a gun show or shop.

Archived