SASS Wire Forum

well water follow up

Trigger Mike

I had my water tested and it has a moderate amount of calcium and magnesium and some iron. The folks who installed the well said they suggested putting a salt black system at the well to eliminate the calcium and that should clear the water up. It would cost 1800 or so. Another company suggested I pay 550 for a device that attaches near the water heater that sends radio signals into the pipes forcing the calcium off the pipes and into the water since in their words, "calcium and magnesium are good for you". They also suggested I pay 650 for a 3 filter system that attaches at the well to filter everything else. DOes any one have some ideas that they have tried or might work? My water has air when you fill a glass, and leaves some white stains on the faucets and brown stains on the tubs. If I run it through the Brita filter on one sink there is no air and it is clearer and taste better. If I run it in my Pur filter in a jug it taste even better and is even more clear and no discolorization of the clear jug.

Radio waves people are selling snake oil.

I would trust the advice of the well driller. Get a second opinion from a couple of others to be sure.

Filter combined with reverse osmosis system will make the water drinkable but is not suitable for a whole house system. Heavy mineralized water will drastically shorten the life of every appliance that uses water. Water softener recommended by the well driller will prevent this.

Radio waves people are selling snake oil.

I would trust the advice of the well driller. Get a second opinion from a couple of others to be sure.

Filter combined with reverse osmosis system will make the water drinkable but is not suitable for a whole house system. Heavy mineralized water will drastically shorten the life of every appliance that uses water. Water softener recommended by the well driller will prevent this.

that makes sense to, If the calcium still remains, it can still coat everything further down the pipe, right?

will the salt hurt the appliances or is it too small to worry about?

No, there is very little salt in the processed water. The level is so low that you cannot taste it. But the process its self does give the water a different taste than it currently has.

right now I replace my refrigerator filter every 3 months instead of every 6, will the salt block system help the filter last longer?

Yes.

You can learn a lot about water softeners and how they work at the following links

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question99.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_softening

The water softener will also prevent teh future formation of stains and deposits on your faucets, sink, tub and toilets

A good place for a second opinion would be your local agriculture or coop extension office.. They should be able to give you unbiased advice.

You can google them or look in the phone book

Archived