SASS Wire Forum

EPA Regs Result in Closure of Lead Smelting Operations

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

We now know what Obama meant when he told his anti-gun supporters awhile back

that he was working on gun control "under the radar."

Obama is using the EPA as an enforcement arm for increasing the tyrannical grip over We the People! He'll not challenge the Second directly but what good are the guns without ammo?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/01/Higher-Ammo-Prices-Anticipated-As-EPA-Regs-Close-Lead-Smelter

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/16881-epa-closure-of-last-lead-smelting-plant-to-impact-ammunition-production

I am not arguing whether this is good or bad. The loss of 290 or so jobs is never a good thing. I thought a few facts might be in order, though.

Neither Federal or Sierra expect the closing to affect their lead supplies.

http://www.federalpremium.com/company/faq.aspx

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/sierra-responds-how-will-the-closure-of-the-lead-smelting-plant-affect-sierra-bullets/

Here's why.

The US accounts for about 6.6% of worldwide lead mine production. In 2012, that 6.6% represents 345,000 tons of lead being mined in the US. Of that production, 118,000 tons (34%) was refined at the Doe Run primary refinery. The rest of the lead ore mined in the US was refined outside the US. US Primary refinement represents 2.25% of world primary refinement.

Primary refinement is not the main source of lead in the US. 1,140,000 tons lead was refined at the secondary (recycling) facilities. Domestic secondary refinement accounts for over 80% of the lead consumed in the US. (1,140,000 tons of 1,420,00 tons consumed).

The US gets less than 10% of its refined lead from US based Primary refinement. It already imports 300,000 tons of refined lead from outside the US. With the closure of the Doe Run refinery, imports will increase from 300,000 tons (21% of production) to 418,000 tons (29.5%).

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/lead/mcs-2013-lead.pdf

More on this:

from Allen West.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/12/obamas-clandestine-plan-to-make-bullets-vanish/

and The Blaze website:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/02/rumor-check-did-obama-close-a-lead-plant-in-order-to-enact-backdoor-gun-control/

The actual and ultimate impact on gun owners is currently a fluid situation...stay tuned.

This type of EPA pressure is bigger than each singular loss.

The way this type of regulation is intended to succeed, is by taking small bites at a time..

A small loss here, a small loss there, the cumulitive effect is the main goal..

Some here may want to remember this, in their analysis of these types of closures! Don't step over the dollar, to pick up the dime!!

Bean counting with blinders on, does not allow the counter to see the piles to their left or right!!!

Remember friends, a penny here, a penny there, and suddenly we are at a $1.00!!!

The examples of this are numerous just take your pick...

No loss, is a small, loss when it comes to this subject!

Who would have thought we would be where we are now, 5-6 yrs ago?? Look around how did that happen?

Alittle here, alittle there, thats how!!

Col. you my friend are right period!

Remember, a war is seldom won in a single battle!!!

The one thing about Military history Mr Obama seems to understand very well..

Spades H. The Col. is still right!!!

Liberalism has employed the concept of incrementalism over the years in order to impose their will/agenda on people...simply stated it's "death by a thousand cuts"...one small step at a time until they reach their objective. That's why I support a no compromise approach where liberals are concerned but I don't run the government. Unfortunately, compromise has been the "pathway to hell" for us constitutional conservatives for the past 100 years.

Here is an article from the other point of view.

http://kbia.org/post/end-lead-laced-era-polluting-smelter-close-after-120-years

Here is the original map from the article:

http://health.mo.gov/living/environment/hazsubstancesites/pdf/herc2001map.pdf

I don't know where to stand on this. I believe companies need to be environmentally responsible. You can't dump lead into the atmosphere, the rivers, and on the roads where people live. On the other hand, I don't like US industrial capacity being eroded. Somehow, something should have been doable to do both.

Sooooo Frisco,

The countries picking up the slack our companies will leave in the market.( No matter how small you say it will be) are going to be cleaner than the ones that where operating here??? :huh::lol::lol:

I'll bet them there air blockin walls are sure to stop the polluted air from all of these other countries manufacturing plants from getting here... :wacko:

*I'm not trying to be an a## but really, China, Russia, South America, Mexico, on and on, you name um..

If you really think these other industrial countries have even come close to the levels of enviromental awearness our manufacturers have been producing at, even at 10-20 yr ago levels, you are in denial.. ;)

That my friend is the unintended conciqences of radical agendas.. :o

Spades H. :ph34r: PS: I agree pard, manufacturing of most everything causes pollution. I want a cleaner world too!!! It is the way we go about it that matters, because the ends don't always justify the means.. ^_^

Spades,

I don't think the countries picking up the slack will be cleaner than here. If anything, they will be worse. That still isn't a justification for turning a blind eye to health damage done by pollution and allowing a company free reign in this country.

In particular, privately held Renco, the parent company of Doe Run, has a history of skirting pollution laws, threatening to shut down operations, and asking for subsidies. Its facility in Peru has been rated as one of the top ten polluted places on earth. Its US Magnesium is a Superfund site and is credited with polluting the Great Salt Lake in Utah.

Spades,

I don't think the countries picking up the slack will be cleaner than here. If anything, they will be worse. That still isn't a justification for turning a blind eye to health damage done by pollution and allowing a company free reign in this country.

In particular, privately held Renco, the parent company of Doe Run, has a history of skirting pollution laws, threatening to shut down operations, and asking for subsidies. Its facility in Peru has been rated as one of the top ten polluted places on earth. Its US Magnesium is a Superfund site and is credited with polluting the Great Salt Lake in Utah.

No argument here, never said these companies where saints, far from it!! But the better alternetive is to send them to places with even less controls over their manufacturings??

You must agree that even with all of there manipulation of our system, our companies still have light yrs better controls over them than these other countrys do.

Look at what they can get away with in Peru!!! You said it, I did'nt! Thats my point..

All I was trying to point out to you, is sometimes the unintended consicences of doing things like pushing out the industries here, hurts everything ( environment jobs etc.) more than it helps..

Do you see my point? As I said, I agree with clean air, water, and ground, but I don't think the end result of this acomplishes that, now does it..

Then back to the Topic of this thread. When you look at how some of the EPA stuff is being used by this administration, one has to take pause as to the real intentions...

Spades H. Frisco, I trully belive we are on the same page..

Second amendment aside,seems like that plant was a problem. I have no problem with industrial smelters (of any metal) , just stick them away from communities and watershed.

Heck. I have worked in aluminum foundries I'd never set foot back in. Heath concerns are too great. Mainly the byproducts of fluxing with chlorine gas.

One metal processor I work for has radiation detectors at their facilities. You never know where crap comes from. Some Russian and Soviet block scrap ends up here with lord knows what in it. I suppose they sneak them in with all them reman-Yanmar tractors coming from Vietnam. I dunno.

You guys can scream about gun control all ya want, and I am not denying the Communist will go through any means necessary, but 23% lead levels at 1 1/4 mile away is a problem if it envelopes townships, farmland and watershed. Period. End of that discussion. The unfortunate part is it fits well into our opponents agenda and it challenges our own reasoning and logic to come up with an arguable solution to this facility in the face of the public.

Archived