SASS Wire Forum

Guess I'm done reloading for the day, broke my SDB

Iron Pony

No I mean I really broke it. Decided to put up some 10MM so I pulled the small pistol primer set up, cleaned up the large primer one and installed it along with the caliber conversion.

About 25 rounds in I noticed a couple of high primers, hmmm.

Un installed the primer assembly and took a look at everything. With the primer mech off it was easy to see the ram lever had developed a huge crack running from side to side. Whoops!

Pulled the press apart and in doing so the lever/handle separated completely from the body of the press. Well that sucks and kind of puts an end to getting any more loading done this morning.

Will give the folks at big blue a call later today and see how they want me to send it back to them, maybe I can ask them to replace the little spent primer cup bracket as well since I knocked off both "ears" with my knee over the past couple of years.

Even though this is a straight wall case I may start using a little hornady one shot from now on, or I might add a little meguiars cleaner wax into the tumbler. Also going to take some crocus cloth to the powder drop/case expander and make sure its as smooth as the proverbial babies bottom. Though not loaded to old norma factory levels the 10s had all bee on the low end of stout and it may be they are at the top end of the grunt scale for the little wonder. Well that and I couldn't count how many, 45acp, 44-40, 44Spec, 38/357, 10mm, 9mm etc have been thru the press.

Found mine broken in same spot. I email them a picture to the support address. Got a new one in about 5 days. Still have broken one so didn't have to send it in.

one of the reasons I have more than one SDB

I always give my large cases a shot of lube as it makes it much easier to size them

cr

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll be sure to watch for this if I start getting high primers. After all these years you would think Dillon would make the spent primer bracket out of metal. I mounted my SDB on a high table, I have to stand to reload but then that is ok. In the future I may have to buy a strong mount.

I too lube all my cases, just easier to reload. I like the Dillon spray lube.

I have broken the lever twice in my time with Dillon. Have to remember I bought it when it was only $129.95 so it's been a week or two.

each time the new one showed improvements had been added. The one that broke was the first improved version after the original one.

Hope the second revision will solve all the problems from the original and first improvement--time will tell

cr

I've had my SDB running pretty regular for the past 8 years. Never had any problems except I've broken the shell plate screw about 4 times. I keep waiting for something big to break but so far, so good. I think I gave about $249 for mine new.

Archived