SASS Wire Forum

Now this is worrysome. JAMA "Curbing gun violence"

Subdeacon Joe

The trouble with some of these comparisons is you can't make a gun "safe".It is an inherently dangerous machine that depends mostly on the operator to keep it "safe". The changes to vehicles mostly made it safer for the operator, not for the pedestrian/building/bicyclist hit by the car. They have opposite problems. Tobacco is bad for you in ANY form, unlike firearms that do have a useful purpose. Same for poisons. The trouble is these guys want to "un-invent" semi-auto magazine fed rifles, and it can't be done, especially as the military and police use them extensively. You can reduce the size of the mags in the hands of the mentally disturbed, but it won't cure them, and certainly not stop them from doing harm to their fellow humans beings. They are just deceiving themselves, and I think they know it but do it anyway. So who is the disturbed person here?

That is truely strange, and, they did not mention how said efforts reduced tobacco related deaths and by what amount. Selected omisison of data. Naughty naughty. :oSuch a slanted article is almost not worth reading.

Slim, very good points, all of them!

No, it is well worth reading, because this will be used to drive policy. "See! The American Medical Association says since X,Y, Z worked with cars/smoking/etc. we can do the same with guns and reduce crime and violence!" Gather intelligence on what your enemy's tactics will be when and wherever possible.

Just because someone has an MD, an PhD, or and MPh after their name, it doesn't increase their common sense. It only increases their knowledge in certain areas.

I've known an Anesthesiologist that sold magnets for people to put in their shoes, supposed to "do wonders".

I know several surgeons I wouldn't let touch anyone I knew... who should be in research instead of an OR.

I knew a surgeon who was an alcoholic and killed a kid while driving. At least two that committed suicide... Doctors ain't Gods!

They are do an amazing amount of good, and a fair amount of harm.

Many of them are uninformed or misinformed about subjects outside their scope of practice. They are just as opinionated as the next guy, as right or wrong as the next guy. There is a good reason for getting "second opinions", and it's not just for the insurance companies. 50% of doctors are in the bottom half of their class.

*whew*

Now that I've said that.... just because some doctors wrote this article and got it published, doesn't mean they reflect the views of the entire medical community. Many of doctors own and shoot those evil "black guns", some competitively, and some of them are "cowboys". Not everybody agrees with or belongs to the AMA.

Keep up the fight, and don't let articles like this get you down.

Like Joe said, know the other side's tactics... and keep up the pressure.

Archived